San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Wanted: 'Zine historians
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:42PM

Dean Curtis has been sharing all these great old SD music magazines: Be My Friend, Bamboo Head, Snare, Ugly Things ...

I would like to feature at least one -- and probably a series -- of blog posts on the goodness of SD's 'zine scene of the late '70s/early '80s.

I'm looking for authors ... Don't be shy: I'm a good editor and will be honored to clean up as necessary. But I need some expertise here.

Danke schoen!

Re: Wanted: 'Zine historians
Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2008 04:37PM

Bamboo Head was done by Clayton Colgin, of Men of Clay fame. I loved his intricate Xerox art, and he wrote beautifully. He would be a great addition to this community!

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2008 04:57PM

I already sent Clay a link.

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2009 08:49PM

toby...last year was a bad time to get my attention towards anything but my very survival....that and occasionally getting lost in some of my own music-making.

i nearly lost my house which i was trying to sell the previous fall and i had to change my line of work after doing tile and stone for 25 years once the economy took a nose-dive....
i'd absorbed a number of nutty room-mates (the craigslist-guarantee)
and was scrambling just to not let my abode become a haven of lunacy.

things have settled down now (sort of) and i hope to contribute some stuff ...besides my opinions, soon.

Date: July 02, 2009 10:05PM

Clay: You're right on time, seriously.

It's actually great that people are arriving in successive waves ... 'Cause (a) it revitalizes things and (b) this whole thing would have collapsed under its own weight if we'd gotten everyone's contributions at once!

As you see, we kept a candle burning for you -- so, welcome!

Posted by: CarlMarket (IP Logged)
Date: May 31, 2010 08:53PM

I know im kinda late on this - cough cough. But i have shitloads of zines if you're still interested?

Date: June 03, 2010 11:15PM

Carl: Hell, yeah! And right on time, too. :-)

Posted by: CarlMarket (IP Logged)
Date: June 04, 2010 02:46PM

What are u looking for?

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.