San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If you could see one concert again ...
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2008 12:02AM

From early-'80s San Diego, what would it be? And/or what show are you most sorry you missed? Reading over all this historical SD underground material, I'm bummed I missed the Germs' first San Diego gig -- at least to say I was there!

Re: If you could see one concert again ...
Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2008 02:00PM

I'd love to see the Rockin' Dogs play. I wish someone had shot some video of us.

Posted by: dflem (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2008 06:11PM

I missed XTC with Wazmo Nariz at Golden Hall in '80...WOOPS..and I remember hearing how amazing that one was from several friends who went.
Ditto with the first Talking Heads show in SD...D'OH!

One to re-live: Dead Kennedy's on the 4th of July, 1981, Lion's Club. Hysterical and scary high energy in the Reagan era. The band was like a mad puppeteer...they'd launch into hair-trigger bursts like "I Like Short Songs" for 30 seconds and the audience would go absolutely insane!
Only I certainly wouldn't want to be back in the 'pit!! Too delicate now.

Another to see again: ANY Unknowns show...they were ALL great!

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2008 08:41PM

Either the Germs or the Minutemen. DOA also- I would have liked to have seen DOA a couple more times.

I think more than that I would have liked to have been involved with the punk scene in San Diego earlier- like around the time of the Skeleton Club. Though I think I was lucky to be involved at the time I was, because it was still a relatively small, scene yet there were a lot of bands playing on a regular basis. And I managed to see most of the bands in their original line-ups.

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: May 25, 2008 01:20PM

I second the motion on the Germs at the Skeleton Club for shows I wish I could have seen.

Wish I could see again: early (pre-Henry) Black Flag + Adolescents at North Park Lions Club. Answers at Headquarters, any vintage. Morlocks at Swedish Hall in SF 'round 84. Pre-album, post-mother love's magical boxtops Camper Van Beethoven at the old VIS on Divisidaro in SF, about the same time. I'll throw in one non-SD-related one- I saw the Pixies before their first album came out in a tiny place in Boston called Green Street Station.

Date: May 25, 2008 05:43PM

OK, non-SD: Watching the Violent Femmes with a small crowd of their friends in Milwaukee 1981 -- a year before that first album -- was a massively formative moment for me. I came back to San Diego feeling like John the Baptist!

Date: May 25, 2008 08:48PM

I was just watching a bunch of Killing Joke videos someone has put up on Youtube. I would have liked to have seen some early performances by Killing Joke, Joy Division, and a few others that eluded me the first time around.

Date: May 26, 2008 03:28PM

I don't yet know how to make HTML work in these posts ... But in the meantime, Dave's citation of the Unknowns made me YouTube up this great sequence again: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 26, 2008 03:46PM

I can hook you up, my brother. winking smiley HTML on .

This is only a test:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2008 03:50PM by Toby.

Date: May 26, 2008 04:01PM

Toby: Hot! What did I do wrong??

Bruce Joyner really was the shit! The cane, the glass eye, the whole persona -- awesome!

Date: May 26, 2008 05:17PM

It's deep in the bowels of the inner workings of the super-secret Che Underground Volcano hideout. (There's a box you check on the control panel.)

A show I missed that I would have liked to have seen is the Crowd at Kings Road. Jay Trash lives not too far from me here in Hawaii, along with several other aging punks hiding out and laying low in the islands.

Posted by: dflem (IP Logged)
Date: May 30, 2008 04:20PM

I wish I had gone to see Chris Hillman with the Desert Rose band...he even lived in PB for years (he was from East SD originally I think) and I remember the ads for their concerts in the Reader all the time. Just the Byrds connection alone (he was the Byrds bass player from 64-67 and was also in the Flying Burrito Brothers) should have been enough to get me to go, I guess I was afraid of it being slicked up commercial country (I've learned since that it was nothing of the sort)...
I wasn't hip enough at the time to stuff outside my liddle paradigm.

Date: May 30, 2008 04:23PM

Chris Hillman was from Encinitas. He went to San Dieguito.

Date: May 30, 2008 08:38PM

John Ford Coley (from England Dan and ... ) lived in Encinitas. He used to come to San Dieguito High School at career day with his back-up singers and tell us how to be rock stars.

Date: May 31, 2008 12:05AM

Chris Hillman went to San Dieguito with my ex-wife's parents, around 60 or so (some of the Che underground alumni know my ex-wife, Lisa Miller.) Oddly enough, her grandma was in the first year San Dieguito was open and her Uncle was in the first year Sunset was open. I surf with her uncle and am convinced he was perfect Sunset Continuation material. He has told me great stories of many a foray into the heart of Mexico as a teen, bringing back trunkloads of herb and miscellaneous contraband. He also used to sell dope to David Crosby out of the house that became the semi-infamous Alligator Pit on (Hermes?).

As far as I know nobody famous went to any of my other schools except Tawny Kitaen and Betsy Russel went to Mission Bay. Well- and maybe Frank Zappa for like a semester and possibly a couple other unverified. I went to the smorgasbord of schools- Chase ave Elem-PBJH-Mission Bay- Twain-Ramona High and Sunset. Only to test out at the last minute up at Mira Costa.

Who else famous went to our schools? In my foray to find Betsy Russel's name (she was way cute when I was in seventh grade) I saw someone claiming that Dennis Hopper went to Mission Bay. Any truth to that? Not that it matters but it's interesting to see who have roots in San Diego.

Of course one guy from Hot Tuna went to MBHS, and Tom Waits got his start in Mission Beach. Who else?

Date: May 31, 2008 09:07AM

I was very involved in the excellent drama department at San Dieguito High School that spawned a number of the more interesting rockers at the school (Todd Barker, Steve Duke, MRAT Nee ... ) Our most famous alum at the time was Kevin Brophy, the guy who played Lucan the Wolf Boy in that extremely short-lived show. Our director, Clayton Liggett, was always very proud of our Lucan connection. Then of course my friend and Liggett protege Eddie Vedder blew the fame curve apart in the early '90s ... Poor Kevin Brophy! :-)

Date: May 31, 2008 01:47PM

Michael Chang went to San Dieguito.

Posted by: David Rinck (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2008 04:58PM

Oh man, I'd go see Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers again!!!

I saw the HBs at the Whisky in about 1979, and that was absolutely hands down the BEST show I ever attended - bar none ever ever. Man, most nights by that time in his career, he was a fucked up, pathetic mess, but on a good night JT was the king. He came out and ripped up Pipeline, and then ran through LAMF, before finally kicking over the drum set and taking off. Man, that show made such an impression on me. I saw the late show, and I even remember waiting outside during the first set, and hearing him roar through Chinese Rocks. Man, he had IT.

Others... The Weirdos at the Starwood, again about 1979. I think that was their last show ever, they were probably my favorite early LA punk rock band, and really very hip and strange group. The Ramones at the Hollywood Palladium, when they toured for End of the Century, they were always great live. X always was, and still is in my opinion, a great live act. Another old LA punk band that was great live was the Adolescents, and Tony Cadena is a very cool person that I got to know pretty well in the day. I saw them with China White and The Chiefs at the Cookoo's Nest in Hunnington Beach once, a great show. Also, in about 2001, Jeff Lucas and I hitched up to San Francisco for the Western Front, a three day punk rock blow out, headlined by the Dead Kennedys. They were great performers. One band not many people know of, but that I liked was the Mau Maus, with Rick Wilder. I saw them a few times in LA. Oh yeah, PiL at the Olympic with Los Lobos when they were just starting out. And the first Misfits show at the North Park Lions Club in San Diego. And the Dammed at Godzillas. Oh yeah, and of course the Dead Boys, who also played the Whisky about 2000. What about Dave Alvin and the Blasters?

I saw the Germs twice, and frankly they sucked. Darby was a drunken mess, and the band couldn't play worth a damn. Live they were nothing like they were on the album (G.I.). But I thought Don Bowles went on to be excellent in 45 Grave, and I thought Pat Smear was great with Twisted Roots.

OK Johnny Thunders was the king in my book. When he had it together, he rocked the house down.

Date: June 01, 2008 05:17PM

The Weirdos played Fenders in 85. Must have been a reunion gig. I remember because we had to choose between that show and Rik-L-Rik at the Seven Seas. We went to see the Weirdos because none of us were 21 and we weren't sure if we could even get in the Seven Seas.

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2008 10:08PM

Bad Brains at Kings Road, the Misfits at North Park Lions Club circa '82. Kinda scary for a 15-year-old mod kid.

Best concert I never saw: The Jam at Perkins Palace. My folks wouldn't let me go, so I sold my ticket to Pat for a pair of penny loafers, a cardigan and an Intensive Ska LP. Does that sound about right, Pat?

Date: June 06, 2008 12:40PM

Dave, Im almost certain that Johnny Thunders show you're talking about is the same one Sam and I went to when we were 16. We took off a day from school just to go up and buy tickets. We went to the first show since we had to drive back to SD...this was at the Whiskey with the Plugz opening. We got there early in the afternoon and hung around the back of the Whiskey waiting for Johnny Thunders to show up and talked to him a little bit when he got there. He was pretty wiped out when he played the first show, but I heard later he was great on the second show...so we were bummed that we missed that.

Did you ever hear the Berlin Brats? that was Rick Wilder's first band before the Mau Maus. I had one song by them called Tropically Hot on a complilation...that song was a HUGE influence on me and Sam when we were about 14.. even before we ever heard the New York Dolls. For years I looked for any information on them, but now there's a myspace page with a few of their songs on it. There's a great song called Psychotic that they played in the movie Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke...only a few seconds of it really...but the whole song is on their myspace page.

Date: June 06, 2008 04:51PM

Actually, it looks like they moved that song to the Mau Maus page for some reason.

Date: June 06, 2008 04:59PM

The Jam at Perkins Palace is a show I really regret not going to...I had the opportunity. My girlfriend went, but for whatever reason I didnt. For years Ive been hearing about how good it was...I think that was their very last tour, wasnt it?

I was at the Misfits show at the Lions Club in 1982, but they were leaning more and more towards hardcore punk by then, which I wasn't too into.

Date: June 06, 2008 05:38PM

When did the Jam first come to Southern California?

Posted by: David Rinck (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2008 06:55AM

Dave, Sam and I tried for ages to figure out if that was the same Johnny Thunders show, but we never could, since as you point out, we saw diffenent set (you guys saw the earlier one, and I saw the late one). I think it might have been. Man, he rocked that night!

Yeah, the Berlin Brats were Rick Wilder's band before the Mau Maus. They date from the glam era. They were before my time. Never even heard'em.

Oh yeah but do you remember Redd Kross?

Date: June 09, 2008 10:47AM

Red Kross was a pretty rockin' outfit ... Weren't they on Mystic, too?

Date: June 09, 2008 12:41PM

I think they were on Posh Boy- at least at first.

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: June 10, 2008 08:14PM

I have the old Red Cross (before they were forced to change the spelling) with Cover Band, I Hate My School, Annettes Got the Hits, maybe one or two others. I believe you're right - Posh Boy.

Date: June 10, 2008 08:37PM

It's almost identical to the Stepmothers- All System's Go.

I just figured out a couple years ago that "Cover Band" by Red Cross is actually "Live Fast Die Young" by the circle jerks. The joke went over my head for twenty some odd years.

Date: June 11, 2008 12:24AM

My wife is a big Redd Kross fan...she LOVES that band. They're probably her all-time favorite band. I was more familiar with the first record that Matt mentioned, when they were young kids.

I remember reading a long time ago about who wrote the chord progression that's used on both those songs...I think the story was that the Circle Jerks guitar player was in Redd Kross before the Circle Jerks, and was the one who wrote it. He felt it was his, so he used it again. Actually I dont know why he didnt just make up something else... it wasn't all THAT great of a chord riff.

I like Cover Band. "ahhhhh We listen to the Knack...we have Marshall stacks..."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.