San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If you could see one concert again ...
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:29AM

Greg Hetson.

I thought the joke was that the music for "We're a cover band" was actually a cover.

Posted by: David Rinck (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 03:35AM

Is Redd Kross still around? Hmmm wonder what they're doing on Dec 19?

Date: June 11, 2008 03:47AM

[www.reddkross.com]

Alive and kicking. Red Cross has stayed in rotation at my house all these years. I think of them as the underground counterparts to bands who came a bit later and gained a lot more fame like Sonic Youth.

I think they've been way more effective and successful than most of the other bands that came out of L.A./O.C. at that time. They've certainly done their own thing the whole way.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:23PM

Just one? Tough decision. 3 come to mind:

Iggy at the Bacchanal, Nov. 1980. I wasn't yet 21 but I sneaked in by crawling on my hands and knees through the exit door! I remember standing right in front for the show (with Jay, that tall guy with glasses). Iggy was great of course! I saw him after that but the first time was the most thrilling (and way more intimate). Plus, it was free!

The Crawdaddys and the Unknowns at the Lions Club, May 1980. I swear Steve Potterf was still with the band but Ron Silva told me a few years back that he didn't think so. The Puppies also played, but the Crawdaddys and Unknowns were amazing! I had never seen them before then. I missed many shows at the Skeleton Club and NPLC because I worked Saturday nights, and I couldn't get in the Zebra Club.

999 and The Dickies at Montezuma Hall, March 1980. This was my first punk show, and what a great start! I remember the setup was real bad because people were being crushed against the makeshift stage which was made up of tables tied together. Stupid SDSU banned punk shows from campus soon after this one. I heard a girl was knifed at the show but I'm not sure if it really happened. But that may be why they stopped having punk shows there after that.

Dave: The XTC show was at the Lions Club, not the Backdoor (Feb 1980). I caught that one!

I don't remember these dates. I got help from this excellent web site, The San Diego Concert Archive: [www.sandiegoconcertarchive.com]. I suffer from CRS - Can't Remember Shit - so this web site is a great resource!

Dean

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 03:10PM

1979 Cheap Trick with Joan Jett at the Sky show.
Early 90's Dead Can Dance at Sprekles Theater.
1990 Anthrax with Public Enemy in Portland.

wait. that's three.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 04:52PM

one more.
Arthur Lee. Forever Changes reunion tour at the Bellyup.

Posted by: cricket logan (IP Logged)
Date: July 20, 2008 09:59AM

circle jerks and x some where in pb in 81ish with sean mc goofn. and a show i was taken to in julian of all places ! a friends big brothe took me and i ws left slack jawd and with a new direction a purpose. i made some sort of choce that day i hae never gone back on. it was panimonium and lawlessness ness ran in the my blood. thats all i remember from that as a kid. tatand the taistof wild turkey.

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 20, 2008 10:33AM

Cricket: Who played the Julian show?

Date: July 20, 2008 12:13PM

999 at the Backdoor was a pretty great show.

Date: July 29, 2008 05:17AM

Matt, I was at that show in Jullian. I think remember seeing the Neutrons there.

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2009 09:53AM

bad manners at ucsd with stilinovich. ska with a ska boy. awesome show. i wish i could go back and be there again if only to see fatty. he was a showman.
echo and the bunnymen at montezuma hall. i still love these guys. brilliant.
cramps at adams ave. esp. in light of lux's passing. they played in portland last year and i wish i had gone.

best show of late? mark kozelek at the palace of fine arts.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2009 07:50PM

Mmrothenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cricket: Who played the Julian show?

That was my the first local show(Or not so localdepending on where you lived)
I think the nuetrons played as well as the Penetrators(although I cant be 100% sure of any of them playing...Being 14 yrs old and drunk)
But what a show it was. Why on earth would anyone pick rural Julien as a venue?
Shitkickers came out of the woodwork to get a piece of us, Terry Marine got it the worst by far as some Karate Cowboy put a severe beating on him,
After that show I was hooked,

Date: March 06, 2009 08:07PM

Any Tim Maze produced shows,

I would love to see the great Charlie Harper and the U.K. Subs again,
And the Angelic Upstarts, Both great Shows

Date: March 08, 2009 06:51AM

I missed The Angelics- though I got to have some dialog with Charlie Harper at Adam's avenue theater, which helped to make up for that.

I'd love to see the UK subs again.

Posted by: Simon (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2009 02:34PM

I saw the Angelic Upstarts once in San Diego--can't remember where; can't remember when--and they were fantastic. I've loved the band ever since far more than their albums or place in the story would actually warrant. My memory--can this possibly be accurate?--is that the P.A. quit for some time during the show, so that frontman Mensi did a couple of songs in a cappella bellow until somebody got it fixed. Amazing! Does anybody else remember any such thing?

Date: March 08, 2009 09:53PM

Photobucket

North Park Lions club? I wasn't there, but Jason S told me about it. Photo by Alan Clark

Funny- that's Arturo front and center.

I never got to see X- missed them every time. I think I'd like to see X at the Roxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 09:54PM by Toby.

Date: March 11, 2009 12:28PM

Oh yeah.....
`X` was a great show at SDSU
Went to Exene`s art show and yakked a bit to Exene and John before the show and made it onto the guest list, They were great and really nice people!!!!

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:10PM

That I'd like to see again? Too many to choose from. Boomtown Rats at the Roxy performing "I Don't Like Mondays" for the first time anywhere. Any of the high school dances that, as a Jr. high kid, I snuck into in order to see Phenomenon. The Penetrators opening for The Plasmatics at Golden Hall. Hell, pretty much any Penetrators show from back in the day--they were all great. Devo opening up for themselves as Dove at the SDSU OAT. Queen with The Blasters opening in 1980. Queen with Thin Lizzy opening in 1977. X at the Roxy. The Dickies at the Roxy.

Date: March 12, 2009 05:21PM

I was at that Plasmatics show....
The only problem was there were so many biker types there....
I figured I was the only punk kid in attendance

Date: March 15, 2009 12:14PM

Toby Wrote:
> >
> North Park Lions club? I wasn't there, but Jason S
> told me about it. Photo by Alan Clark
>
>
> Funny- that's Arturo front and center.
>
>
> I never got to see X- missed them every time. I
> think I'd like to see X at the Roxy.

Toby, You are a true historian,
Thanks for the pix.....

Posted by: Denise (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2009 10:52PM

red cross...still one of my favorite bands. greg hetson was the original red cross guitarist, back when the mcdonald bros were about 11 and 14. they used to practice at the church where black flag hung out. i can't remember if greg and keith knew each other before that, but after keith quit (got kicked out?) of black flag, him and greg formed the circle jerks. i don't remember animosity between greg and steve and jeff, but it could be true. greg ended up playing guitar in bad religion. still does, as far as i know. funny story: greg's mom used to live down here in san diego county somewhere and when she would see punks, she'd go up and tell them "my son is in the circle jerks!". she was totally proud.

Date: May 02, 2009 09:49AM

Long after they kicked me out to live their Nu Wav dreams, my first band played a community college where they were heckled in a friendly fashion by a middle-aged woman who wanted them to authentic blue mountain coffee the guitar. Afterwards, she came up and introduced herself as the mother of a Circle Jerk. Probably the same lady!

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2009 12:18PM

authentic blue mountain coffee? is this the text scrubber at work again?

Date: May 03, 2009 01:30PM

LOL ... C-R-A-N-K the guitar.

Posted by: Denise (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2009 02:31PM

yeah, that sounds like his mom!

i can't speak for san diego-specific shows, but i wish i could go back and see just about every show, again. maybe i wouldn't spend so much time running around with my friends, hanging out drinking beer in the parking lot, trying to score black beauties, and would have spent more time watching the bands! i definitely wish i had a better memory of the shows i did go to.

Date: June 18, 2009 08:00AM

I vote that Mark Z writes a blog post on that show in Jullian. That was such a wild outing!

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2009 03:12PM

Pre-Henry Black Flag + Adolescents at North Park Lions Club
Undertones at the Roxy

Date: June 23, 2009 06:01PM

I'd like to see the Che Games again. Especially if I didn't have to work it. I missed way too much of Hair Theatre handing out money to the bands.

Date: June 24, 2009 07:22PM

David Rinck Wrote:
> I vote that Mark Z writes a blog post on that show
> in Jullian. That was such a wild outing!
Thanx for the vote Dave,
I'd like to write about you, Your a book unwritten,
I even remember the details of your room(with all your Tutone 45s and flyers on the wall and I even remember the taste of your moms Taco Salad,
We would steal my dads Camels, 3 packs at a time and chain smoke em till I was sick, 1979 was definately a cool year,
I'll write anything you want me to.
Defineatly cool times

Re: If you could see one SD PUNK SHOW AGAIN
Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2009 10:00PM

as for sd punk shows...i'd have to go with the misfits (dead-or-alive produced).
i remember rude introducing me to glenn and him seeming quite docile and friendly (and shorter than even i!?) but when he hit the stage....whoa.....i never seen a guy plant his foot so far forward and two-hand grip his mic and perpare for vocal deliverance...not to mention abuse and adoration come steaming from the crowd. this was one fast and hard set which didn't miss a beat or note.
i was definitely in the dark as to aspects of this band's image but was in love with their early recordings.....this show demonstrated the ferocity of that music
and the pit was simply phenomenal.
if i had to pick one....this would be it.

i think mark mentioned the DK show july 1981.....correct me if i'm wrong but MOC opened that nite.
jello wrote us afterwards to say we were his fave sd band he'd seen.
that was nice at least.
that same year an east-coast punk rag voted us #81 of america's top 81 punk-bands of 1981.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.