San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: More formative movies
Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 03:07PM

Quadrophenia and Tommy played at the Ken on June 5th every year, which is my birthday. I knew Ted Friedman from Junior Theatre and he took me to see these movies on my 15th. For a present he gave me a Doors album and a Patrick Henry High library copy of Nietzsche. For my 16th I had a full blown party in the front row with cake and presents.

Harold and Maude was pretty iconic as well.
Clockwork Orange.
Wierd stuff like Zabriskie Point or Zardoz.

We hung out at the KEN at lot. Paul Howland's brother Danny worked there so I think we got let in quite a bit through the back door. Blowup, Riot on Sunset Strip - and the BEST: a Gumby film festival presented by Art Clokey himself, he actually spoke at the Ken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2008 06:00PM by kristentobiason.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 04:17PM

I still have a postcard of Gumby and Pokey autographed by Art Clokey from that Ken showing.

Saw some laser shows at Balboa Park under the L-influence: Sergeant Pepper's and The Who.

Date: July 02, 2008 05:45PM

>>I still have a postcard of Gumby and Pokey autographed by Art Clokey from that Ken showing.

You should totally scan that and post it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 31, 2008 11:56AM

Has everyone scene "The Dark Knight" yet? I watched it on my daughter's 15th birthday at the Getty Drive-In in Muskegon, Michigan, during our recent camping trip.

I know posthumous hagiography is an easy trap, but Heath Ledger rocked my world as the Joker! He picked up a few moves from Nicholson -- who I love -- but I think he mopped the floor with him.

Dissenting votes? Other summer-movie picks? Nancy and I have our evenings to ourselves while the kids are at summer camp, and now's the time to catch up on our flix.

Date: July 31, 2008 12:53PM

Netflix only these days. I'd like to see the Dark Knight..maybe... mmm..Gary Oldman. I've been watching nothing but documentaries - esp. enjoy ones without humans in it. Culture gets repetitive and wanky. marine iguanas are amazing.

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: July 31, 2008 02:16PM

Meet the Feebles.

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 31, 2008 03:52PM

I thought the same thing about ledger going out with a bang and with him copping some Nicholson moves quite stylishly.

I think I need to see the new trash coming out with Matthew McConoughay and Woody Harrelson (and Willie Nelson!) Looks like a total cheeseball but I'm a sucker for bad surf movies and with Woody and Willie in it it can't be all bad.

Date: July 31, 2008 03:54PM

Tropic Thunder looks like it might be pretty funny. Robert Downey Junior is so incredibly white his role is a huge opportunity for the har-factor.

Righteous Kill and Heat (sequel) both pique my interest. I like the casting with Deniro and Pacino in shoot em ups.

I didn't see the preview yet but just saw this on IMDB- anyone know more about Street of Dreams?

Date: July 31, 2008 05:00PM

Downey's step-sister worked for me at Premiere.com; she got both Roberts (senior and junior) to converse on the cultural and political complexities of white guys playing black guys, since Senior did the voice of "Putney Swope."

(Did you ever see "Watermelon Man," directed by Melvin Van Peebles and starring Godfrey Cambridge? It put a nice reverse-English on that proposition.)

Posted by: Paul Brewin (IP Logged)
Date: August 01, 2008 02:31AM

Hey Matthew, I didn't see "Watermelon Man", but saw "Sweet Sweetback's Baaadaasss Song" (I'm sure I didn't spell that right), and Mario's homage, plus a great docu on Melvin. He tells a story that he would spray a watermelon-scented mist in his office before receiving (white) visitors, who would sniff and want to say what they could smell but proceed to feel uncomfortable and Melvin would watch and enjoy their squirms. What a talent that guy.

Posted by: AndyG (IP Logged)
Date: August 02, 2008 08:50PM

Mmrothenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has everyone scene "The Dark Knight" yet? I
> watched it on my daughter's 15th birthday at the
> Getty Drive-In in Muskegon, Michigan, during our
> recent camping trip.
>
> I know posthumous hagiography is an easy trap, but
> Heath Ledger rocked my world as the Joker! He
> picked up a few moves from Nicholson -- who I love
> -- but I think he mopped the floor with him.
>
> Dissenting votes? Other summer-movie picks? Nancy
> and I have our evenings to ourselves while the
> kids are at summer camp, and now's the time to
> catch up on our flix.

Dark Knight had a great performance by Heath Ledger. The rest is smoke and mirrors. (Iron Man is by far a tighter film)

Ask yourself even a few SPOILER-FREE questions and Dark Knight falls apart: where did Joker sleep? Where did he get a school bus, a trash truck, and a semi? How long does it really take to fill dozens of drums with explosive liquid? Where did the explosives come from? How could anyone break dozens of people out of Arkham Asylum and not have Batman alerted and thinking that Scarecrow was back in action?

The Bat-emperor has no clothes.

Date: August 03, 2008 12:52PM

I like this New York Times piece on the new Darby Crash movie ... The Times even posted some Germs samples! (I think "Lexicon Devil" might be my favorite Germs number, tell ya the truth.)

PS: Nancy and I are thinking about watching "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" on pay-per-view today. It looks like it should be a spankin' good time -- but it could also blow. Anybody?

Have we discussed "A Mighty Wind"? I loved "A Mighty Wind"! Speaking of Jews who rock, when Ed Begley Jr. starts speaking Yiddish ... Mir gefelt es zeyer gut! (I really liked it!)

Date: August 06, 2008 07:23AM

I wish I could find some YouTube love for this 1985 Polish movie called "Yesterday" that Paul Kaufman, Robert Labbe and I watched (with Spanish subtitles!) in Spain in 1986. It was a very neat little film about a group of kids in 1960s Poland who form a samizdat Beatles band. One of them ends up badly electrocuted because of the crappy equipment they have to build by hand ... And they call themselves the Crazy Boys, which I think is a nice ESL touch!

Date: August 19, 2008 06:57PM

Matthew -fyi: The Germs movie is out 8/22 complete with soundtrack.

[www.whatwedoissecretthemovie.com]

Date: August 19, 2008 08:06PM

Fun little film-industry aside: Nancy, Lily (our younger) and I just visited the TriBeCa location of "City Island," a forthcoming movie with Andy Garcia, who's long worked with fellow San Dieguito theater geek Joe Drago. Joe made it super-fun for Lily, showing her around the gear and getting Andy to come ask her if she'd pose for a picture. Watching a film being shot is generally a little like watching cheese cure, but Drago kept it lively(and made me a little sorry I didn't stick with my early dalliance with thespianism).

Posted by: hugh64 (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2008 02:05PM

I remember going to the Ken one time for a Fellini double feature "La Dolce Vita"and "8 1/2" I think it nearly lasted 8 hours. I sat there all alone after breaking up with some girl and just needed something to distract me and it worked. I dig most of his films. At the Dance Craze premier at the Ken, I had bought a bunch of white zinfandel at pic'n'save for dirt cheap and hung out in front prior to the movie with some girl I was trying to impress, drinking the trendy wine of the 80's out of real crystal glasses. Then at the Parkway Theater/bowling alley, where Flywheil played almost every week, they used to have midnight movies. Rude Boy and The Punk Rock Movie were two that I saw there with some of my east county cohorts. Also, at the downtown SD public library on Monday nights, they used to show lots of foreign flicks such as Polanski's "Knife in the Water". It was always a good time and free!

Date: September 02, 2008 08:04PM

This news made me surprisingly sad. It's corny, but he really was kind of the voice of the movies to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2008 08:06PM by Mmrothenberg.

Date: September 27, 2008 12:32PM

... And today I'm super-bummed about Paul Newman. I watched "The Sting" about 20 times when it came out -- I thought Newman and Redford were just the coolest thing ever to happen. Wish they'd found the right script for one more outing together.

Cole's and my friend Glenn Kenny wrote a few nice sentences about Newman:

"There was a time—and a fairly long one—when he was the most beautiful man in film. And he didn't make a big deal of it. Seemed rather to relish passing that mantle on to Redford. After which he was only, of course, the coolest guy in the room—always."

Date: September 27, 2008 05:14PM

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight, from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman, and a ride home."

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2009 09:02PM

anything by luis bunuel or stanley kubrick (except the shining).
one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
aguirre: the wrath of god.
tommy by ken russell.
slaughterhouse-five.
the ruling class.
the elephant man.
bladerunner
ghandi.
e.t.

Date: July 03, 2009 04:20PM

Bunuel's "Exterminating Angel" is godhead!

Date: July 03, 2009 05:32PM

Oh ... I like "The Shining" a lot ... That Steadicam work -- ooooh! Spooky. Tons better'n the book.

Posted by: Bruce Perreault (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2009 06:50PM

Did anyone see "Straight Into Darkness", strange, moving film about war and kids.

LOVE Klaus Kinski, (Aguire), Nosferatu, some Peter Greenway, Bunuel, most Hitchcock, anything by Werner Herzog, Jean De Florette, Manon of The Spring, Leni Reifenstahl, (as director and starlet), All Woody Allen, (good and Bad), Sergio Leone, And God Created Woman, Andy Warhols Dracula, I guess the list would go on forever.

What's that strange Andy Griffith movie...as the very serious TV tyrant??? GREAT film!

Date: July 03, 2009 07:17PM

Ever see Orson Welles' version of Kafka's "The Trial" with Anthony Perkins? Boy, that was cool.

Date: July 03, 2009 08:39PM

i love a man who can say he loves ALL of woody allen's films....good and bad....and doesn't bother explaining which are which!!

Posted by: Bruce Perreault (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2009 10:15PM

We should really have a film thread up front...I like Woody in the way I like Seinfeld...doesn't matter good or bad. I'm just glad they do!!

BTW - is it possible to remove or edit a blog-post?? I put my real name there by mistake....the first time in a thousand posts...forgot I was Bruce Injection for a moment.

Anyway - I'd rather it say Bruce Injection...don't know if it can be fixed or deleted????????????

Date: July 03, 2009 10:56PM

Bruce: If you register once, you don't have to type this information in every time.

E-mail me the post, and I'll try to change it if it's possible.

Date: July 05, 2009 01:01AM

though certainly before most everyone's time here....EASY RIDER and BILLY JACK.
both got my blood going when i was barely a teen.
the lessons were similar and basic....alternate consciousness was good....
rednecks were bad.

Posted by: Denise (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2009 09:10PM

urgh! a music war, clockwork orange, the decline (original), quadrophenia, dance craze, christiane f. were all movies i remember being pretty impressed with as young punk. later on, we watched suburbia, but only because it was such a joke and our friends were in it. i just watched 'another state of mind' for the very first time this weekend. that was weird. whoever directed and edited it and called it a 'documentary' must have been high on pcp, because it was straight up bullshit. it was definitely cool to see everyone still alive and looking so young, though.

Date: July 08, 2009 07:43PM

Billy Jack.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.