San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More formative movies
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: June 06, 2008 05:03PM

Our "Punk rock picture show" thread over on Che Underground: The Blog has me wondering what other movies we found defining in our youths.

Patrick Works "Blow Up" as the avatar of Swinging London photographic grooviness. Toby Gibson accurately cites "Quadrophenia" as a tremendously influential film for many of us. And I assume I'm not the only little kid here who was enraptured by "Yellow Submarine" or "Hard Day's Night."

What early film works helped shape your developing brain in rockin' ways?

Re: More formative movies
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: June 06, 2008 06:20PM

As a kid we used to go to the Ken or the Strand or the Guild and see the week of Beatles movies. Beatles Marathon. We also used to catch Woodstock, One Hendrix movie that I don't recall the title- Live Somwhere, The Kids are All Right, Quadrophenia, Tommy, and Pink Floyd- The Wall at the Fine Arts theater in PB.

Others that come to mind? American Hot Wax, The Wanderers, That'll Be the Day, and A Clockwork Orange.

Date: June 06, 2008 07:05PM

Do theaters still have midnight movies on the weekend? All that rock 'n' roll stuff ... I watched "Rocky Horror" once, and sort of wished everybody would shut up so I could see the film!

La Paloma was a crazy place to watch movies back when it had the lying-down sections along the sides ... I believe it was Wendell who told me that working cleanup there would net all sorts of used condoms and scary paraphrenalia.

Date: June 06, 2008 08:25PM

I saw Dance Craze at the La Paloma. The best was to go hang out in front of the Guild in Hillcrest for Rocky Horror. There was a bar like two doors down and the gay guys would buy us drinks and bring them outside. There was usually like fifty people hanging around at any given time, mostly freaked out Rocky Horror people.

One time these pretty formidably sized college jocks were picking fights, out "fag-bashing" around Hillcrest and these Clockwork Orange guys rode up on motorcycles and beat the ever loving shit out of a couple of the jocks. The one Droog guy- his name was Apple. We asked them if they went to punk shows and he was real funny and he says, "nah- we just like Clockwork Orange a lot." But I guess it was true, because I never saw him at a punk show. I think Jeff Marino had met Apple before, and said they were just out for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

Posted by: dflem (IP Logged)
Date: June 06, 2008 08:26PM

'Tommy' blew my fragile little mind apart when I saw that flick in 10th grade.
Ken Russell did justice to the libretto and the score, IMHO..

an aside...Jack Nicholson sounds waaay better than I would have expected as the 'doc..a very understated but groovy vocal performance.

Date: June 06, 2008 10:25PM

What band dressed all Droogie? I think they maybe came through town with the Misfits one time ...

Date: June 06, 2008 11:23PM

The Adicts. I think they played a couple times in San Diego. Also Major accident was a notably bad droog band, but I don't think they ever came to San Diego in my time there.

Posted by: AndyG (IP Logged)
Date: June 07, 2008 04:04PM

Clockwork Orange--Tom Goddard and I knew that one line for line
Quadrophenia, Tommy, and The Kids are All Right
Dance Craze
That one weird concert film where the lineup was the Damned, Ultravox and the Stones among others
Woodstock
The Monterey one with Hendrix
Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii
The flick that had Richard Hell and the Ramones and others. Can't remember the name.
And of course RHPS at the Strand or anywhere else

Any film that was an excuse to alter ones' consciousness and hit the theater at midnight was a-okay.

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:31AM

Rock and Roll High School! ...more than any other movie. I probably had all the dialog memorized when I was 14.

I think each band member got one line.

"Oh Boy! Pizza! Great! Let's dig in!"
Dee Dee

"We're not students. We're the Ramones."
Johnny

"Things sure have changed since we got kicked out of high school."
Marky

...and I forget Joey's.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:06PM

Besides all the ones already mentioned, I also liked that one by Don Letts - The Punk Rock Movie - filmed at the Roxy in London. And there was one about the New York punk scene at the time but I can't remember the name.

The Buddy Holly Story was one of my favorites.

Not strictly a music film, but Diner was a great film, and the scene with the 45 collection - "Why don't you ever ask me what's on the flip side?" - was a classic!

But my all time favorite, even more than Quadrophenia, is American Graffiti. I saw it at the Campus drive-in (RIP) when it came out. I was 12, and it changed my life. I became fairly obsessed with the 50s and with "oldies". I started collecting 45s after seeing it. I would take the bus down to Encore Records on El Cajon Blvd (near Hoover High) and spend my allowance on 35-cent 45s. I also started listening to K-Earth 101 radio at the time. Oldies radio was real good then compared to the top-100 oldies crap stations now. They played much more music from the 50s and 60s. I tried to dress 50s at school (just rolled up cuffs and t-shirt sleeves) and got all kinds of shit from the other kids. Then Happy Days (good for the first season) came out, and the 50s was huge, so they started having 50s day at school, ugh.

Dean

Date: June 19, 2008 02:13AM

Blade Runner.

Date: June 19, 2008 02:14AM

And Mad Max/Road Warrior.

Posted by: Larry Halterman (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2008 04:22AM

Hail Hail Rock n Roll, The Alan Freed Story, Let the Good Times Roll all had good early R n R footage.Phanthom of the Paradise,very cheesey but great line about drugs" I know the difference between real REAL and drug REAL"
Evil Dead, Road Warrior,Star Wars was pretty spectactular when it first came out.And just about anything by David Cronenberg I really liked Naked Lunch though it doesn't seem to follow the book but then how could it?

Date: June 20, 2008 06:42AM

I really liked "Down by Law," the Jim Jarmusch movie with Tom Waits, John Lurie and Roberto Benigni.

The first time I tried to graduate from the MacWEEK copy desk to an opening for a reporter, I interviewed with the editor-in-chief -- a real character I came to value as a mentor, and definitely someone who did things his own way.

I learned later that he'd privately told the senior staff that he was going to ask all candidates to name their favorite movie, and the first person who answered, "'All the Presidents' Men'!" would get the job.

So I walk in, and he immediately asks me, "What's your favorite movie?" Nonplussed, I stutter a minute, then blurt out, "'Down by Law'! It's this, like, black-and-white independent comedy with Tom Waits ... " I didn't get that job.

Date: June 21, 2008 05:20AM

Did Jim Jarmusch do Stranger than Paradise? That was a cool one, also Liquid Sky!

Date: June 21, 2008 05:31AM

The only Jarmusch I really related to was maybe Ghost Dog and Dead Man- The rest I found to be a little monotonous. Unpredictable, though. That counts for something.

Date: June 21, 2008 08:44AM

Toby: How about the "Spongebob Squarepants" episode where Jim Jarmusch and John Lurie are the live-action fishermen dropping hooks into Bikini Bottom? And Spongebob experiments with hooks and gets ... hooked? Surely we can all relate to that!

Date: June 21, 2008 04:10PM

I forgot about Dead Man, Johnny Depp was cool in that. I loved the Indian " Stupid fucking white man" My old business partner was Indian and he had a hilarious hidden racists streak in him. It reminded me of him.

Date: June 21, 2008 06:24PM

Oh yeah- Mystery Train. Another disjointed one. And Lost in paradise? Was that him?

I haven't seen the jarmusch/spongebob.

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2008 03:57PM

How about movies we saw for the first time on T.V.?

I'm pretty sure that's where I came across "Rosemary's Baby" for the first time, a total freakout.

Also, there was one, I think called "Trilogy of Terror", that is embedded in my memory. Although the only part that sticks is the end of one chapter, which involved some little tiki-looking statues coming to life, and closed with a woman stabbing a pair of scissors (butcher knife?) into a chair repeatedly.

There was also that movie about the guy who lived in the walls of a house, and would look through little holes in the wall (and ceiling?) at the family living there. Then he came crashing through at the end. I was sure I heard somebody outside my window that night.

Finally, I first saw the Coen brothers' debut "Blood Simple" on HBO in the early '80s. I remember that one blowing my mind and being really different than anything I had seen.

Date: June 22, 2008 04:05PM

First thing I remember seeing on TV was Hitchcock's "the Birds."

Date: June 22, 2008 09:24PM

I believe the boy behind the wall was a 70's TV flick called "Bad Arnold " or Ronald.He had to hide cause he accidently killed a neighbor girl after she and her friends were teasing him,mother hid him from authorities an she later croaked and a new family moved into the house. Yeah I sort of remember it(HAHA). That litle doll gave me nightmares , I must have been 8 or 9 at the time. How about those cheesey films about witches and satanists in the 70's remember "Satan's School for Girls" Was Lori Dey of the Partridge Family in that one? and how about "Race with the Devil" with Peter Fonda and Ernest Borgnine(?)

Date: June 22, 2008 09:57PM

We haven't mentioned Eraserhead ...

Date: June 22, 2008 09:59PM

Oh, the chicken dinner!

Date: June 22, 2008 10:02PM

What was the (french?) Movie with the skinhead who listened to polka music on his walkman? Diva? Maybe I'm mixed up. Anyhow- I only saw parts but a lot of people seemed to be pretty enchanted with that one.

I can't recall if anyone mentioned Hazel O'conner's "Breaking Glass".

Date: June 22, 2008 10:07PM

Diva:

Date: June 22, 2008 10:21PM

Awwww, I saw that one in Paris when it first came out ... GREAT film. Remember when the little villain falls to his death and you finally hear what's coming out of his earpiece? Great, weird poignant moment.

I loved Bill Forsyth, especially "Gregory's Girl." Clare Grogan was a hottie!

Date: June 23, 2008 02:53AM

I saw it in O.B. Just as Poignant, I suppose, Same same.

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2008 04:40PM

>>>One time these pretty formidably sized college jocks were picking fights, out "fag-bashing" around Hillcrest and these Clockwork Orange guys rode up on motorcycles and beat the ever loving shit out of a couple of the jocks. The one Droog guy- his name was Apple. We asked them if they went to punk shows and he was real funny and he says, "nah- we just like Clockwork Orange a lot." But I guess it was true, because I never saw him at a punk show. I think Jeff Marino had met Apple before, and said they were just out for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

Apple was part of the Rocky Horror crowd. They had some kind of club or gang, and I think he was the leader. I met a girl who was really into Rocky Horror, and went to the Ken with her once to check it out...that was a really strange scene and group of people. She told me all about their club... she was a member. Everyone had titles, like ranks. It all seemed very nerdy and very druggy at the same time... not my thing to say the least.

Date: June 24, 2008 02:38AM

Nothing against punk and Mod and Ska and all the variants- but anything portraying Jerry Lee Lewis was about punk as anything. I'm thinking there was a Buddy Holly Story and Ritchie Valens (Another nod to Latino Culture.)

Just watching "Walk the Line" for the tenth time- if Cash isn't punk enough, the little bit of Jerry Lee is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2008 03:01AM by Toby.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.