San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Favorite Christmas Song.
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: December 26, 2008 03:19AM

Hands down- the Kinks- Father Christmas. Great on many levels, makes me want to kick the shit out of Santa a little.

Re: Favorite Christmas Song.
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: December 26, 2008 07:35AM

I've been digging the Bowie counterpoint vocals on "Little Drummer Boy" with Der Bing ... My kids and I have been crowing, "My name is David Bowie -- I live down the road!" in a David Bowie accent.

Posted by: Simon (IP Logged)
Date: December 26, 2008 01:21PM

The Pogues' "A FairyTale of New York." I got the demos, rarities, etc. box-set for Christmas yesterday (oh, I married wisely!), and it's chock-full of versions of that song.

Runner-up: Precisely this Crosby-Bowie duet. I think they sound great, but I also love it that you can see and hear how Bowie's super-excited to sing with a legend and how Crosby maybe isn't entirely sure who the faggy English kid is...

Embarrassing Honorable Mention: There's a hyper-speed version of "Jingle Bells" on the Barbra Streisand Christmas album my mother played when I was a kid, and I don't believe it's really Christmas until I hear it. 1 minute and 53 seconds of Brooklyn Jewish Yuletide festivity, complete with a wee Borscht-belt joke in the middle, some bad-ass stuttering (J-j-j-j-jangle bells!), and an open-throated yawp on the final "sleigh" as the orchresta brings it home. Oh, God bless us, everyone!

Date: December 26, 2008 02:07PM

Well if we're going to get into guilty musical pleasures, I am really partial to Meowy-christmas.

Date: December 26, 2008 05:22PM

>>I also love it that you can see and hear how Bowie's super-excited to sing with a legend and how Crosby maybe isn't entirely sure who the faggy English kid is...

Too bad the producers quashed the second duet: "Ziggy Stardust"! (Time restrictions, my Aunt Fanny.)

BTW, the other day I heard the Snoopy and the Red Baron Christmas song for the first time in, like, decades. Some kids in the house we sublet our first year in Leucadia had the single, so I got to know it pretty well.

And here's some groovy footage of the original Royal Guardsman performance. What's up with the goosestepping?

Date: December 26, 2008 05:26PM

And lest we forget "Fuck Christmas" by Fear. And my fave late 80s fodder "Christmas in Hollis" by (Run DMC?)

Date: December 26, 2008 06:08PM

This was excellent.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2008 05:32PM

"Your a Mean one...Mr. Grinch"

Date: December 30, 2008 06:40PM

"A Very GG Allin Christmas"

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 08:53PM

Way late to this party, but what the heck. My two faves are Elton John's "Ho Ho Ho (Who'd be a Turkey at Christmas?)" and one written and performed by none other than Rockola. Yes, the local cover band Rockola. They wrote this AMAZING song that I just love called "Just in Time for Christmas." Great tune, great performance.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 10:17AM

The Pogues Fairy tale of New York,
My kids have kinda made this song a Zizzo family tradition, Christmas isnt Christmas without it played at least 2 dozen times,

Date: March 15, 2009 10:20AM

The Pogues are one of the greatest post punk groups in my opinion,
Shane McGowan is the stereotypical Irish drunk Leperchaun

Date: March 15, 2009 01:28PM

That is one of my all time favorite songs.

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2009 01:21PM

bowie's little drummer boy is the best version of that song.

and hell yes to the pogues and that song. i love shane and his crazy stage presence. saw them in paris. what a trip.

Date: March 17, 2009 06:55PM

What Happened to the previous you tube vids?
Gen-X and Cock Sparrer?

Date: March 18, 2009 01:34AM

Something ate them?

I saw Cock Sparrer- dunno where it went. Sometimes that stuff happens- it's a tech issue, not something anyone did.

Date: March 18, 2009 06:59AM

I guess there fling around cyber-space or lost in the fourth dimension,
Oh well....

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.