San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
what do your days look like now?
Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2009 09:16AM

i was talking to dave rinck, who is now in africa, and realized that we have all blown to the four winds and taken up paths which may or may not fit within the lines we drew when we were all younger and less focused.

i'm not necessarily talking about careers here, either.

what does your life look like now? what do you do with your days?

Re: what do your days look like now?
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2009 01:36PM

By day I run a department in a very posh little hotel (72 units), pretty much the safety net that catches anything anyone else missed. Technically I run the maintenance department but our General Manager is a business man and away a lot, so I act as the impromptu GM when he is away, handling PR stuff and disgruntled guests, acting as security and basically making sure everything gets done.

By night I hang out with my kids (when I have them), write fiction and poetry, photograph punk shows, play my guitar, do the AA thing, basically try to stay on an even keel. When everything gets all confusing I still go to a skatepark and put in some time or go get in the ocean and put in some miles. I'm most comfortable around books.

Date: March 10, 2009 06:11PM

books... yes, the best friends ever.

nowadays i'm a mama and a lifelong student of whatever infothread pops into my scope.

days look like a lot of hanging out and teaching my kiddo, taking him to friends houses, knitting, reading, gardening (when the sky is not pouring down), writing (when the muse is not elusive) and trying to stay afloat in this economy.

i always thought i would be doing what rinck does, some kind of foreign service work. or maybe just live the writers life. in the fall of 97 i was toying with moving to egypt and working with states agencies on some kind of humanitarian/education program. but then i got pregnant with and had a kiddo and all that changed.

sometimes i think henry saved my life. he brought me to center and woke me up. a tender alarm clock rang when he was born. and my life has never been boring since. not once. not that the path i had thought up was bad or ruinous, just obvs not what i needed at that time. maybe later. but for now? he's the center. a wonderful fulcrum. and the coolest kid i know.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:24PM

Wow alot has happened
Cold and soggy at the moment...
First and formost Kicked drugs,
And recently quit drinking,
It seems Ive been High in one form or another since I was 13 years old,
Married with three kids and a grandson all of whom bring warmth and focus to my otherwise dismal existance..
I work and work and work....And I do it happily,
I fish,
I read,
and I try save money to upgrade my hometheatre system every now and then, Exspensive hobby and money doesnt grow on trees ya know,
I am racked with guilt at times for the way I have treated people in my past, And I try to treat people decently to try to make up for it,
I never thought I would see 42 yrs. But here I am....Whatta ya know...
Life is tooo funny!!!

Date: March 11, 2009 04:03PM

Mark Di'Zizzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am racked with guilt at times for the way I have
> treated people in my past, And I try to treat
> people decently to try to make up for it,

I know what you mean. Regrets, I've had a few.....

But then again- it's funny how people are when they have twenty years between them. I've found a lot of people didn't hold me anywhere near to the standards that I hold myself today.

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2009 07:16PM

I ride trains back and forth between Maplewood, NJ, and Manhattan. I'm on one now -- cellular modems are COOL!

We have a nice house that costs most of our money. It's got a nice big yard along a creek. We have an absurd number of pets.

I'm surrounded by female creatures ... Me and one hamster named Charles are the only XY beings in our household. (Actually, Pinky the rat has the chromosomes, but we had the plumbing removed so he could hang -- or not hang -- with the ladies.)

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:51PM

Toby Wrote:

> I know what you mean. Regrets, I've had a
> few.....
>
> But then again- it's funny how people are when
> they have twenty years between them. I've found a
> lot of people didn't hold me anywhere near to the
> standards that I hold myself today.

Its funny that the standards I hold to myself dont resemble the standards I held for myself...
Its all good though it can only get better.....
Toby I know you right?

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:00PM

Monday, work at AFICE, the non-profit cultural exchange program I run.
Tuesday, AFICE, with afternoon work as a taste tester of non-FDA-approved flavor-enhancing food additives.
Wednesday is the same as Tuesday.
Thursday is AFICE, taste testing, and night work from about 9pm to 2am in the VIP area at Deco's, a hip-hop club in the Gaslamp.
Friday, I do AFICE work from home, occasional taste testing (about every other week), and Deco's at night.
Saturday is Deco's from 9pm until 2am Sunday.

In between, I work on music (Shambles, Manual Scan, and side projects), comics (co-writing Vampyrates), assist my wife in her biz (she teaches pole dancing to women in a party atmosphere -- bachelorette parties, birthday parties, etc.), keep her website up to date, and when I have time I've been proofreading a friend's forthcoming novel.

In the rare times we have a day available, we go to Disneyland.

http://www.theshambles.net/kv.jpg
My personal website
Promote world peace: Host An Exchange Student!
Get hip to The Shambles.
I have an awesome wife--she teaches pole dancing!

Date: March 12, 2009 04:05PM

Mark Di'Zizzo Wrote:

> Toby I know you right?

I've been wondering that myself. By what little history I've glommed from comments here and there and your presence with guys that I considered friends, I figure we must have crossed paths- but while I have some memories all clear and bright I also have some really hazy recollections of parts of my life and the people I met, so I never know.

Date: March 12, 2009 07:03PM

I want to be Kevin Donaker-Ring: tasting things, pole-dancing and Disneyland pretty much covers everything in MY book!

Date: March 12, 2009 07:21PM

kevin, you make me smile on pretty much a regular basis.

Date: March 12, 2009 08:48PM

Thanks, Ava. I have to say the same for you. Truly.

And Matt, the taste testing is generally not a pleasant thing. The whole idea is that they're developing compounds that *should* enhance certain flavors. A lot of times they don't work all that well.

The pole dancing, on the other hand . . . :-) Oh, yeah, she teaches lap dance, too, and has to practice on me now and then. And then there are the nights we have to go and "study" at a strip club so she can check out moves.

As to Disneyland, well, come to think of it that often involves tasting things as a good half of our trips there involve a meal at Club 33.

Date: March 12, 2009 09:53PM

My children are blessed to have Disneyphiles for parents. My eldest wants to be an Imagineer!

Date: March 12, 2009 10:22PM

My son wants to be a rocketship.

Date: March 13, 2009 12:28AM

toby, my son IS a rocketship. amongst other things.

Date: March 13, 2009 02:05AM

Oh my- that must be hard to keep up with.

I took my son to the zoo last Sunday and we saw the baby tigers - he was very impressed andf pointed out that one had blue eyes (he's four and a very cool little gentleman.) So we walk through the whole zoo as we do at some point about every other week and we get to a part we never noticed and do the whole aviary/bird tour. He really liked the birds and named off several he learned from Dora and Diego, and I read the signs to him. Then we get to the Kookaburra and I read the sign and tell him, "This one is nicknamed the laughing Jackass" and he laughs and tells me it's short and fat, which it is. So we're standing there admiring this squat Australian bird and it goes into a minute long rendition of the song for which it is named, sounding like something from the jungle ride soundtrack at Disneyland- a truly impressive song that lasted for what seemed like a really long time and never wavered. At the end my son just stood there for a second and then clapped his hands, and I joined in and we gave the Kookaburra his round of applause. All the way to the front gate we had to stop for each bird and give them their moment in the spotlight.

I love my kid. The bird is now in my top 100 too.

Date: March 13, 2009 01:52PM

Mmrothenberg Wrote:
> My children are blessed to have Disneyphiles for
> parents. My eldest wants to be an Imagineer!

I've been lucky enough to meet Tony Baxter several times. Cool guy. I doubt this could ever happen today, but he started out working at Disneyland scooping ice cream, and now he's pretty much the head of Imagineering. We've actually met several Imagineers over the last decade (or, at the very least, have seen them speak about the attractions they've designed and built), and it's always so cool to hear what they have to say.

Date: March 19, 2009 01:23AM

wow, talk about days... i took my kiddo in to have his eyes checked and for a ct scan both at the behest of his ped. his eyes need reading specs, buuut, he has had terrible migraines in the last two years and now we have to find out why. poor kid. so say a little vibey prayer for him... and me. he's currently fast asleep next to me. what a guy. what a cool kid.

Date: March 19, 2009 07:46PM

Vibey prayer sent!

Date: March 19, 2009 08:26PM

thanks, kevin. i will tell him you have his back.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2009 06:27PM

My son (age 3) wants to be a superhero. I am trying to find a velcro cape so he can have an instant costume with any outfit he happens to be wearing. I'm going to borrow it during the reunion weekend. I'm going to need it.

My days are boring. But I like to call them peaceful. My home is a drama-free zone unless my teenage daughter comes to visit. Young women? They look real nice on the outside but be prepared for a lot of drama. I like keeping it simple. I work at non-aspiring, get a regular check "job" job. My husband and I like to lay around and read, or play with our kid. I like to meditate. And spend time with my friends, drinking tea and eating cake. I've grown up into a lady! It's weird. But I am totally cool with wherever I'm at.

When I was young I wrote dark poetry, dreamed of a reckless, wild existence and planned a quick demise before wrinkles besieged my porcelin skin. I'm glad that path changed.

Posted by: Simon (IP Logged)
Date: March 20, 2009 07:52PM

Kristen--My 5 year-old Colin is a superhero too. He got up in a great mood this morning and said, "Dad, let's make up super heroes and then BE THEM!" He went first and said, "I'm Torso-Torch, because my torso (that's your chest [he helpfully added]) bursts into flame to destroy bad guys."

"Cool," I said, looking at the stack of sophomore essays I hadn't graded last night (in spite of my best intentions). "I'll be Doctor Feedback. Any papers I touch are instantly and accurately graded with ample helpful feedback. I'll have so much free time!"

"Dad, that's not so good. You can't be Doctor Feedback. Try again."

"OK. I'll be The Griller. All I have to do is look at food and it's cooked to perfection."

"Dad, you don't really get this, do you? I'll tell you who to be. You are...Pincher-Bug. You have huge pinchers on your fingers and you use them to hold bad guys until the police come."

I like the title of this thread. I honestly don't know why I enjoy talking to people here so much. I don't know all of you, and my days are so much better now.

Best wishes, from Pincher-Bug

Date: March 20, 2009 08:56PM

simon, i like your super hero better, far more practical. but pincher bug? that's rad, too.

i think i would be stop short woman. i would be able to stop people from saying/doing really stupid shit with just a thought.

i would have been able to avert the last 8 years of bush and his errors. and keep people, including myself, from dealing with foot-in-mouthitis.

Date: March 20, 2009 10:46PM

I'd be a villain. I'd be "snarly grouchy misanthropic man" and I'd cover happy young couples in a slimy coating of fear and doubt.

Or maybe I'd just like to have weed whips for hands.

Date: March 23, 2009 01:25PM

I already mentioned my amazing super power in a blog response.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2009 01:42PM

I would be "constant comment".

Posted by: dylan rogers (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:30AM

My days, I work with mostly ex cons whom like to talk about guns, and kick'n ass, I really can't relate, but they sometimes make me smile. I get home from work and then drive my wife to school and then it's off to the park with my 3 year old son. My son is not into superheros, maybe because he goes to a hippie type preschool that does not permint the use of action figures or war toys, my boy for some reason loves cactus's and we are putting together a small cactus garden for him, yeah sounds bad a toddler with a cactus garden but he knows to look but do not touch. I call him Cactus Boy, sounds kind of superheroish. For fun I go on a blog and miss spell words and then laugh at myself, if ya can't laugh at yourself then......
Weekends are spent at the Zoo or beach.

Posted by: mike stobbe (IP Logged)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:02PM

Cactus boy . . . shit , that's amazing .

Posted by: dylan rogers (IP Logged)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:51PM

Stobbe.... are making fun of me....:-0

Posted by: mike stobbe (IP Logged)
Date: March 30, 2009 10:29PM

no way , I love that stuff !

I only hope my son wants to play in a garden or do some silly shit that I think is cool . Sounds like you've got it good man !

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.