San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
FONO
Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 12:36PM

Why hasn't anyone wrote About F.O.N.O.(Friends Of No One)
Im thinking some of the original members were Terry and Chrissy Marine, Chris Jarhead, Maybe Marc Rude...Tina Toilet Linda Ludicris...Im sure there were others,
I remember seeing those black armbands at the julian punk rock fest as well as at parties at the modhouse...

Anyone on the forum remember them?

Re: FONO
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 01:32PM

[blackmarketmagazine.com]

Quote:
At this same time, after a long year of hitchhiking across the country from New York, Marc makes San Diego his new home. He immediately throws wood on the fire that is this "punk rock problem" and starts a Punk Rock fanzine called "Rude Situation" (with artist/girlfriend Shawn Kerri), and if the wood wasn't already enough go get the fire burning, he pours gasoline all over it, as Marc and his group of scary looking, punk rock friends cruise the streets of downtown San Diego wearing armbands which read "F.O.N.O." (Friends of No One).

Date: March 15, 2009 02:52PM

Thanx for the link Toby,

Any one Remember having war games at fiesta island?
That was really fun,
Dressing up in full Cammo,
The reeds would really cut you up while crawling thru them to get in nice and close to the enemy, Good Times!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 02:59PM by Mark Di'Zizzo.

Posted by: Lesha (IP Logged)
Date: June 10, 2009 10:38PM

i still have a flyer for the War Games!!!!

Posted by: David Rinck (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:49AM

I rememebr wargames at Fiesta Island! Oh man, that was fun. Basically it was like capture the flag, expect less rules, plus duck tape!

Oh thoese were the best of times!

Date: June 24, 2009 07:12PM

Thats right the duct tape, HEE HEE,
I felt sorry for all the new kids in the scene who happened to have had the bad luck of getting caught, I wondered at the time if they would ever be seen or heard from again or if they would decay shackled to Terry's dungeon walls.
As long as it wasnt me,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 07:13PM by Mark Di'Zizzo.

Date: June 24, 2009 07:25PM

Oh yeah a show I would die to see again.....
Johnny Thunders at the Whiskey, We had a great time at that show,
Chinese rocks..Yeah!!!

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2009 08:40PM

i have an early Bamboo-head interview with FONO which i'll post when i find time.

rude and richie fortune were there....and i think shawn.

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2009 08:36AM

What will it take to get a FONO bio on the blog? Who is qualified to author? (Not me ... I was only dimly aware.)

Date: July 23, 2009 01:56AM

the BAMBOOHEAD FONO interview is hand-printed and reduced and does not scan well.....and i'm such a slow typist/transcriber with limited time on my hands.
is there anyone i can call and read it to so they can type the thing rather quickly?

Date: July 23, 2009 10:28AM

Clay: I'd be happy to do the transcription, but wow, I'm on the move right now. (Family vacay.) Photocopy possible?

Date: July 23, 2009 08:11PM

Yeah I find it hard to believe that such an important part of our history is so ignored, And this inquiry has generated so little response,
I realize alot of the younger punks and mods and skins who were part of the scene are not aware of this group of rag tags, But for me they were inspiring and intimidating, But were imp[ortant part of our scene
How about it Terry?

Date: July 23, 2009 10:02PM

i've located BAmbooHEAd #3 july 1980.....w/ FONO interview.
present were the original 4 members...shawn, richie fortune, tony chuko, and marc rude.
it's 2 pages of fairly compressed text.

same issue includes a penetrators interview.
the mag ends with a colorful though horribly mispelled letter to dan maclain from richey fortune......demanding an apology for printing in SNARE a number of criticisms and accusations hurled at various members of the hardcore scene... including one which allegedly went so far as to threaten killing members of FONO.

i hadn't seen the issue of SNARE (then or now) but felt FONO were sincere enough
in their claims of wrongdoing that i agreed to print the letter.
this was no doubt symbolic of the very first true divisions within sd's local
80s music scene.

i never heard from mclain after that in regards to this.

Date: July 24, 2009 06:01PM

Remind me: Who's the fella working on a Marc Rude documentary? Maybe he'd share a little?

Date: July 24, 2009 09:58PM

his name is carl schneider (i could be wrong about the last name)...i believe he ran black market magazine. he did a video interview with me some years ago which he started by saying he had interviewed nearly 150 people and somehow got this notion that "all roads led to" me.
it sounded as if i was going to be the final interview.
i'm not sure if i fucked that interview up or i fucked his notion of who marc was or what....
all i know is that the project seemed to come to a standstill after our taping.
i do hope not...or at least i hope it wasn't me that twisted the process into oblivion. i understand editing and production can take a very long time.
maybe he had some personal matters to sort out. perhaps the production encountered issues of time and money.
perhaps he came to question his own intentions for doing the piece?
what i do know is that carl knew marc as well as anyone in rude's final phases.
i think he had great insight into the man from both a public and private perspective.
i felt his intentions were as pure as anyone's with an ego and an agenda could be.
i also feel he owed nothing to rude or to those who he announced a desire to make such a film.

i do remember later asking carl about marc's birthday in an e-mail (exact time of birth if possible as i wanted to take a look at rude's chart) but he never responded.
it felt like our dialogue had come to an end.
perhaps he may be ready to tell the story now....be it via film or some other means.

Posted by: MadMike (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2009 12:03PM

last time I tried to contact Carl
he didnt respond

I was also good friends with Tony Chuko...

if anyone does here from Carl...please let us know

Date: July 25, 2009 01:16PM

Clay: I know nothing about Carl's specific project, but I know a bit about the challenges such a thing presents.

I'm sure it wasn't you ... It's intimidating as hell to think you're creating The Definitive Document on anything. And even harder to decide when you're Really Done.

That's why I'm enjoying the blog so much: No need to say Everything about Everything ... We can just slice off little pieces and chat about 'em, and gradually we create something Big (or biggish, at least).

Can someone send me the last known contact info for Carl to cheunderground@gmail.com? Maybe I could ask him if we could just do A Little Bit about Marc and FONO with his help. :-)

Posted by: leatherfaery (IP Logged)
Date: July 30, 2009 10:38PM

There is Marc Rude myspace page. His wife's contact is on that page and apparently Marc had a son. Why not go directly to them?

J

Date: July 30, 2009 11:00PM

That's a good idea, too!

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2009 02:22AM

Mmrothenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What will it take to get a FONO bio on the blog?
> Who is qualified to author? (Not me ... I was only
> dimly aware.)

Carl Schneider. For certain.

Date: August 27, 2009 10:00AM

Im sure some one knows,
Has F.O.N.O. becomeme a sect
Jezus more secret than the masonic lodge or skull and bones

Date: December 25, 2009 03:45AM

Oh yeah, Mark, I forgot to tell you: I STILL HAVE CHRIS' F.O.N.O. ARMBAND!!!

He kinda flattened it and used it to decorate the cover of his "punk scrapbook"-type of thing...

Date: January 01, 2010 02:46PM

Wow!!! That would be a coveted piece of the San Diego punk scene museum, If that ever became a reality,

Date: January 27, 2010 09:00PM

Oh crap... Am I COMPLETELY brain-dead? (Don't answewr that!) It is a "YWAC" BADGE---Which was sometimes described as an answer to the negativity of FONO ["Youth With A Cause"] or, sometimes... NOT! ["Youth WITHOUT A Cause"]

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.