San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What are we listening to NOW?
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2008 10:57AM

This was a great thread on the blog, and I was sorry to see it slide into the mists of history.

Let's revive it here! What music today makes you sit up and take notice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2008 10:57AM by Mmrothenberg.

Re: What are we listening to NOW?
Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2008 03:39AM

I admit it. I know about this song only because it's been turned into an ad for a car.

But it still rocks. That guitar tone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2008 06:51AM by Mmrothenberg.

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2008 03:56AM

Can you tell I got into watching the Celtics this year?

Here's my other favorite TV-inspired hit, They Might be Giants plugging donuts:

[www.splendad.com]

Date: June 17, 2008 06:55AM

Paul: RE the Prototypes, that may be the first time since Plastic Bertrand and Kickboy Face that a French band has rocked.

RE TMBG, I think I told you that "Blister in the Sun" has reportedly become a favorite ballpark-organist riff? The organist plays "Da-da-d'-DAH-dah, da-da-d'-DAH-dah, da-da-da-da-d'-DAH!" and the crowd goes, "CLAP-CLAP! CLAP-CLAP!" What kind of cut do you think Gordon Gano gets from that?

Posted by: tonesua (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2008 04:26PM

the bass player for that band was in "plasticland" prior to his gig With Gordon gano. I found an old Trouser press from 83 and it had a feature on them.

Plasticland appeared on the VOXX comps of new 60's bands ( i think the first one that the crawdaddys are on. I am trying to recall the title of the song as the LP is in storage at the moment. I think this calls for a lunch time visit to dig it out!

Posted by: JeffreyL (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2008 06:58PM

I've been turned-on recently by Jess Bryant. Other than that it's a lot of old stand-bys:

Portishead "3"
Nick Cave "Dig, Lazarus, Dig"
Arab Strap "The Last Romance"
Tindersticks "Waiting for the Moon"
The National "Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers"
The Dirty Three "Ocean Songs"

...plus tons of Gainsbourg, Reed, and latter day Chet Baker.

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2008 11:07PM

[wiki.amplifysd.com];

Best I could do for the quote, "All the old standbys."

Today's listening pleasure was Seu Jorge "A Life Aquatic" soundtrack and Ali Farka Toure- Talking Timbuktu. They unseated yesterday's Yoshida Brothers fest, in which I found a cool little thingy where if you turn the volume all the way up there's this one stop mid song where someone says, "Yoshida Tonari Dare" which colloquially translates to, "Who the hell is Yoshida?" They being absolutely huge in a very cool, cult following sort of way made the joke pretty fun to find.

My music- A.D.D. is in full effect.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2008 09:38PM

hmm. I'm impressed by the new Radiohead "In Rainbows" album, pretty original for pop music, great compositions, esp. Nude and 15 steps.

But usually I go for the shoe-gazy dream stuff:
- Galaxie 500 - Another Day
- Slowdive - Just for a Day
- Victorialand - Cocteau Twins
- My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

And Slint, Wilco and lately, a collection of Loretta Lynn, oh - and we got this old school volume of Sesame Street for my two-year old son. Have been really grooving to the "Ladybug Picnic".

Date: June 26, 2008 10:17PM

I listened to a lot of EEls and Wilco over the past few years. I really like the Eels, and a lot of what Wilco has done. Along the same genre, I got Backyard Tire Fire which was pretty alright, but didn't like Kaiser Chiefs as much as I thought I might.

Posted by: Paul Allen (IP Logged)
Date: June 29, 2008 04:21PM

A bit late notice, but folks in the Bay Area can still catch a reunion of a previous generation of music scene alumni. Sun. June 29 1-9pm, Mission District, S.F. A benefit for Crowbar, who helped organize the 40th Anniversary of the Summer of Love. Maria Muldaur, members of It's a Beautiful Day, Blue Cheer etc. will perform. $20 donation. [www.officialjanis.com]

Date: June 29, 2008 04:22PM

P.S. It's a pot-luck barbecue.

Date: June 30, 2008 08:48PM

The benefit was cool, but we stayed a little too long. Met a lot of good people, hippies from way back. There was endless blues/rock jamming. The highlights were a blues number belted out by Maria Muldaur, and a soulful rendition of People Get Ready by Lester Chambers of the Chambers Brothers.

Date: June 30, 2008 09:54PM

Oh, and David and Linda LaFlamme did a beautiful version of White Bird.

Posted by: Larry Halterman (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 01:44AM

I saw It's A Beatiful Day at some golden gate park event and they played "white bird" though I usually don't like the foo foo stuff I did enjoy it, the song and the tripping as well. Another similar band was Fairport Convention .I really got into their guitarist Richard Thompson (and some of his wife's work Linda).Still listen to his Capital Records recordings.My other guilty pleasures...
Nick Lowe almost any
Arthur Lee and Love
Gram Parsons (solo)and the Flying Burrito Bros.(highly reccommended, I wish I listened to more of my stepmom's album's now)
The Band (Listening to them a lot lately ,check out Scorcese's Last Waltz,a classic)
Townes Van Zandt
M.Ward (the Transfiguration of Vincent cool analog recording)
Bowie( Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory)
The Sweet and early Rod Stewart(guilty,guilty)
Jose Feliciano (Great interpretive guitarist)

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2008 02:57PM

yes but and -
The Clinic is amazing. Esp. Walking with thee.
TV on the Radio is another one.
Wire. Richard Hell.
Did I mention Dean Wareham's great guitar style from Galaxie? I could just go on and on and often do. I'm smitten.

From the way-back-machine (tho'the shoegazer stuff ain't new either), I've been revisiting THE RAIN PARADE.
Does anyone remember seeing them with the smell stale farts (sorry! -couldn't help myself!) uh-hem....TELL TALE HEARTS at the BACKDOOR? great show.

Also saw either T.T.H. or Morlocks open for the Dream Syndicate. I think Thin White Rope played too.

Date: July 01, 2008 03:22PM

I saw Rain Parade at the Back Door ... Later in SF, I re-encountered Steve Roback because I worked with his wife Missy at MacWEEK magazine.

Posted by: dflem (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 03:35AM

I interviewed Rain Parade at that SFSU show for the UCSD Guardian...probably was in no shape to interview anybody as I remember the keyboardist afterwards taking a walk with me outside...really nice guy, I think I had him worried. I was probably asking some pretty off the wall questions...don't think that one ever got published.

My recent fave listens have been the original Nirvana (the UK 60's band), tons of Western Swing (Proper box-sets rule), Django Reinhardt's bebop groove around 1946-7 (unbelieveable!!!), and each week's episode of Toffee Sunday Smash.

Date: July 02, 2008 03:36AM

woops...SDSU show, not SFSU...been 'way too long..

Date: July 07, 2008 12:39AM

I used to see Kyp from TV on the Radio all the time in the lower Haight and Fillmore area, he lived with friends of friends and was a recent immigrant from Pittsburg OH (I confess I have yet to hear them). Some musicians who have been around a long time but continue to do amazing work: Annie Lennox, lush, soulful pop; and also Wayne Kramer, hard, guitar rock of the intelligent variety.

Date: July 07, 2008 02:24AM

I fucking hate stupid guitar. Stupid guitarists generally wear cheap shoes. Fuckers.

Date: July 07, 2008 02:27AM

Today it was the rolling Stones anthology- the earlier stuff- Same with Joe Jackson, ditto with the English Beat, specials and Jack Johnson's first couple albums. I was doing some major house cleaning today.

Posted by: David Rinck (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2008 07:33AM

This changes with the wind, but RIGHT NOW (as in NOW NOW) I'm really getting into Scotty Moore's guitar playing (anyone here want to tell me if I made a mistake a couple of hours ago buying The Guitar That Changed the World on Amazon?) Also this week, Merle Travis and Tal Farlow. I think this is all because I'm finally at last figuring out how really key finger picking is to rock and roll, and how cool it can be.

Also, I keep hoping that if I listen to enough good guitarists, one day I'll figure out how to work this dammed thing!

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2008 05:43PM

Scotty Moore is one of my favorite guitar players of all time, but I've never heard The Guitar That Changed The World. I've seen that in record stores so many times over the years and almost bought it, but I never did. Elvis's Sun Sessions would be one of my top three all-time favorite records. It's probably the only record I've never (not even for a little while) gotten tired of listening to in 25 years.

Speaking of country guitar players...and onto some of what Im listening to these days... the album Nashville West featuring the late, great Clarence White is something someone turned me on to a few years ago, and is now also on my "desert island" list. He was a hippy country-rock player who was in the Byrds for a while in their later days...and one of the craziest sounding guitar players Ive ever heard. His playing sounds like nothing I've ever heard before...it's almost bizzare sounding. What Hendrix was to blues, Clarence White was to country.

The first Paul Butterfield Blues Band album is in pretty heavy rotation for me lately, along with Axis Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix.

Date: July 08, 2008 01:43AM

Dave, ok Clarence White. If you say so, I'll get it. Can yuo recommend a particular CD?

Date: July 08, 2008 04:49AM

The "Nashville West" record is amazing...it's a club band recorded on the fly and live with Clarence White and also other future-byrd Gene Parsons. The guitar playing is so amazing and inventive. Inspirational and suprising.

The soundclips on Amazon's site of "The Guitar that Changed the World" sound great...beautiful tremelo on "Loving You"..could do without the singers doing just certain lines from the songs, although they add a lounge kitsch to what otherwise sounds pretty rockin. Seems like you can hear more of the supporting guitar lines that might have been hidden behind Elvis...I'd buy this disc...too bad they didn't just mix it without the lead vocal lines, just the Jordanaires with backups, and it would be the ultimate do-it-yourself Elvis sing-along record.

Did Scotty Moore go back to studio work after he stopped playing with Elvis?...web fact search...

Date: July 08, 2008 04:50AM

doubly amazing, even..

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2008 12:49PM

Dave R, If you want to really hear what Clarence White was all about, you have to get Nashville West. Like Dave F said, it's just a three-piece bar band. There's only one guitar, bass and drums...with the drummer (Gene Parsons) singing. Clarence White sort of plays lead all the way through all the songs with his amp authentic blue mountain coffeeed WAY up loud, but it never crowds the singer. What's really amazing about it is that it's not what you normally think of as "lead" or "rhythm" playing...it's like this explosive musical sound that just rolls out of his guitar. He also never seems to play the same lick twice... he's creating the whole time, almost like a jazz player.

They were the house band for a country bar in L.A. called Nashville West, so the name stuck. Clarence White was also an innovative bluegrass player when he was a kid, but that's not really my thing so much.

I cant say enough about this album... I think everyone who doesnt own it should buy it immediately!

Dave F, have you ever sat down and tried to figure out some of that stuff? It's really hard work, even if you slow the recording way down. Around the time he joined the Byrds, he started using a b-bender (the very first one...which Gene Parsons invented), but Nashville West was before he started using it.

Im pretty sure Scotty Moore became a producer... I dont think he did any session playing after Elvis. Of course, Elvis got James Burton on guitar after Scotty Moore, who was the main influence on Clarence White...so it all ties in...

Date: July 08, 2008 01:01PM

As I recall, Dave Rives had the Clarence White canon wired from an early age. I'm gonna try to get that boy to chime in.

Date: July 09, 2008 02:26AM

OK Dave I just went on line and imeadiately bought Nashville West. Look forward to it, sounds interesting.

Scotty Moore still tours I believe, at least according to his website: [www.scottymoore.net]

Don't forget that between Moore and Burton, Elvis has Hank Garland on guitar. He was responsible for what is (in my opinion) the King's best guitar number "Little Sister".

Matt, here's a topic for you - let's start a new blog topic on Honarary Che Undergrounders. We can nominate some ten to fifteen people and then invite them to become honarary members, send them a certificate and all (we can even have a design competition for it), and then follow up on it. If they don't repsond, we'll send them a note revoking their status - fuck'em. We'll need some criteria, how about:

- they have to be alive
- they had a major influence on the art and music of the Che Underground
- they have to be unrepentant

We'll even set up a Che Underground Walk of Stars on El Cajon Blvd (hahaaa it'd be great, of course we'd probably be arrested for defacing a public sidewalk). A few obvious nominees would be Iggy Pop, Richard Hell and Scotty Moore and Bruce Klowden. Bob Dylan is disqualified because of his asshole little rip off you bandname kid...

Posted by: kavik (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2008 04:14PM

Oh yeah Clarence White! i discovered him in High School around 15 my guitar teacher (I had a few lessons!) had known him and taught me some of his stuff. I've never heard the Nasville West album where Clarence is playing electric, I know his acoutic work with the White Brothers and earlier the Kentucky Colonels, hopefully these albums have been reissued, they are fantastic. Clarence has a totally unique style, syncopated, rhythmic and very improvised. His playing behind vocals and other soloists really impresses me, very creative and sensitive. He had a weird thing called the Parsons/White string bender on his electric where he could get a pedal steel pedal effect on one (or two?) strings. He plays on the Byrds Sweetheartds of the Rodeo with the stringbender a lot. These days I'm listening to a lot of Django Reinhardt and having fun sneaking in the Diminished scale (minor thirds all the way). Alohas....d. rives

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.