San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What are we listening to NOW?
Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2008 04:22PM

David Rinck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Scotty Moore still tours I believe, at least
> according to his website:
> [www.scottymoore.net]
>

Yep, I've seen him several times recently, at the Ponderosa Stomp in Memphis, at Green Bay 50s Festival, and at Viva Las Vegas.

Also recently saw Jody Williams at Ponderosa Stomp, who somebody mentioned in the blog post on record sides, it may have been you Dave. He was incredible.

Pic of Jody Williams:
[farm1.static.flickr.com]

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2008 09:53PM

Seven Seconds, Panic Attack
TSOL- Dance With Me
Adolescents- Blue album
Germs Media Blitz
Misfits Walk Among Us

Pandora- gotta love it. Nostalgia Saturday.

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2008 09:57PM

Who's got satellite radio? A friend is senior VP at Sirius, and he says it's a whole different thing ... Like, you can't imagine life without it once you've got it. Whaddya think?

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2008 12:32AM

I've got Sirius. It came free with my Jeep for 1 year. I love it. I still listen to my ipod shuffle and CD's, but am a frequent listener to the Sirius hip hop stations (there are 3 - 40 is Hip Hop Nation, 43 is Backspin (I was just listening to Kool DJ Red Alert's live show today) and Shade 45 is Eminem's station (lots of G-Unit)). BBC Radio One is fun to see the difference between top 40 here and there, as is the reggae station. My girl likes the Latin station, which plays some rock en espaņol, and some other pop stuff she likes. I don't really care for the punk station, as they mix old & new. I think Little Steven has some garage station or show, too, which I haven't heard. How much is it? I'm pretty much addicted now. The Classical Jazz station is great, too. They have a station for every decade '40's to 90's. Not to mention Sports, Talk, News, Traffic for all the major cities. I also like Jamie Foxx's Foxxhole station, some great bits - I heard an old Red Foxx one recently. If you like Elvis or Sinatra, they have stations for that, too. No commercials is a plus!

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: July 14, 2008 12:44PM

Pandora is awesome! This is what I listen to all day at work.

pandora.com is free streaming audio internet radio... it allows you to create "radio stations" (up to 100 different ones) with any kind of music you want. You type in the name of an artist or song as the name of the station, and it plays similar music for as long as you want. You can also select any number of stations you've created and have it shuffle between for a mix of different types of music. I've discovered loads of new music this way. Next to the Che Underground, it's probably the best thing on the internet.

Date: July 14, 2008 01:06PM

I've been really working the morbid curiosity angle of Pandora- setting up stations based on Abba and Karen Carpenter! After four or five thumbs down they make you sit through the shit! Ppppppppthbt!!!

Date: July 18, 2008 07:29PM

Egads- The Knack and the Members on Pandora!! Brilliant!!!!

Posted by: Paul Brewin (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 09:19PM

I gotta check out this pandora and her box of music. I like Luxuria online [www.luxuriamusic.com]. They play bachelor pad music for the most part, with DJ's specializing in variable genres a la the Brian Wilson oeuvre, or international pop (Matthew: remember "Get Off My Cloud" by that Asian combo?), exotica galore, some Vegas schmaltz. On that note, there's Vegas Vics Tiki Lounge podcasts, last I downloaded a podcast there was over 60 1-hour episodes, mostly exotica and surf. Lastly, it's only tangentially music, but you must check out Chicago Public Radio for Ken Nordine's Word Jazz streaming Sundays nights at midnight EST I think (there's also Joe Frank the hour before him). I'm a longtime fan of Nordine, famous for those old Levi's and Tasters Choice voiceovers. I first heard Nordine on an old fry tape that was passed around where he waxed about religions -- the tape had great Mothers stuff, Burroughs readings, Incredible String Band, Bonzo Dog Band, and more.

Date: July 20, 2008 11:51PM

Oh man- punch in the Epoxies and it opens up a brave new world of century specific new wave that is pretty outstanding!!

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:59PM

I have to share this:

My two year old son somehow opened up itunes, scrolled through all the album covers, located Who Do You Love among a mammoth list of choices and said: "Bo Diddley Bo Diddley!"
He could hardly even talk a few months back.
Pat Works would be proud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 04:06PM by kristentobiason.

Posted by: Paul Allen (IP Logged)
Date: August 05, 2008 11:29PM

I just got that Nashville West CD. Wonderful. I wonder if the Grateful Dead were influenced by them. (NW's a lot better). I also got a bunch of Byrds CD's. I think Jerry said he used to listen to Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrd Brothers a lot. Just listened to Fifth Dimension. The CD's have extra stuff the LP's didn't. Roger McGuinn does some incredible playing on it. I just got tickets to see Jake Shimabukuro who Mathew linked to on YouTube on the Gear Geakout thread. There's another version of Shimabukuro's While My Guitar Gently Weeps on YouTube recorded at the Belly Up Tavern.

Date: August 06, 2008 02:06AM

[profile.myspace.com]

This is the brother. I think I posted his name wrong on the other thread. He used to have a really great song on his page but now it's kind of ho-hum typical Hawaiian EZ listening. Though I do like the "I lied" part. I love a good martyr. winking smiley

Date: August 06, 2008 02:09AM

Oh man check out Jake doing "Going to California".

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: AndyG (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2008 05:29AM

I can't imagine life without Pandora. I plug in everything I can think of from Autechre and Orbital to Killing Joke and Pink Floyd and it just spins away. Very few misses so far.

Posted by: Paul Allen (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2008 10:50PM

Yeah Toby,
I thought you were just messing w/us. I actually searched for Jason/Jake Shimabukuro for awhile and all I came up with was an in-store performance featuring Jason Tom-Tom, human beatbox and Jake S.

Date: August 06, 2008 11:39PM

Sorry! Early onset alsheimers!

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2008 04:22PM

Awww, crud.

"For over a year, publications including Wired.com have warned that the U.S. Copyright Royalty Board's new rates for webcasters would end online radio as we know it. Now, those chickens are coming home to roost.

"Pandora -- practically the poster child for online radio -- says it will shut down if royalty rates enacted in March of 2007 are not altered soon."

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2008 05:06PM

I havent been keeping up with this thread...

Matthew, Pandora said it would shut down if they passed that royalty thing back in 2007 too... I think they're lying. They're obviously making lots of money from all the advertising they're getting.

Paul, Glad you liked Nashville West... you should also check out (if you havent already) The Byrds Live at the Filmore. I think it came out a few years ago. Great live performance from 1969, with Clarence White's guitar even louder and more distorted than on Nashville West (same drummer too).

They just put out another live recording from 1971 at Royal Albert Hall, but the sound quality is really poor, and I think its mono.

Date: September 02, 2008 02:58AM

This week- my first week living on Oahu- I've been toying with a variety of stuff. Jack Johnson has been in the CD player whenever I'm headed to job interviews (which thank god were over quickly. You just can not listen to DOA or Motorhead before an interview without expecting some casualties.) Tonight: Nick Cave- Nocturama. Earlier: Dave Alvin: Ashgrove.

Until Pandora is piped into my car stereo I really won't be complete.

Posted by: kavik (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2009 01:00AM

Hey I just checked out Clarence White on You Tube, he's the chillest of the byrds and you can see him working his "stringbender" on the Telecaster. One of the band is talking about the "wall of guitarists" watching Clarence to try to figure out how he was doing that stuff. The video stuff is great to see technique. Also check out Django and his two fingered hand action.

Posted by: Bruce Perreault (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2009 01:24AM

Nuages

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: May 14, 2009 10:18AM

sharon jones makes me happy. she's just so awesome. have any of you checked her out? those of you who liked the 60's female front shows will like her.

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2009 02:19AM

but mostly i listen to classical music at VERY low volumes.....and the room-fan.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.