San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
More famous SD alumni
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2008 11:14PM

I'm trolling around the Web for more connective tissue for the site ... I noticed that Tony Hawk graduated from Torrey Pines in 1986. Did we know him?

Toby Gibson asked in another thread about what famous figures emerged from our ZIP codes and high schools. If the list includes any major-league capitalists, maybe they'll want to underwrite a Che Underground bus and T-shirts! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 11:15PM by Mmrothenberg.

Re: More famous SD alumni
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2008 12:35AM

Tony Hawk was the first person to come to mind.

Owen Neider, Dierk Laughery and I used to grab Tony and hold him upside down by his ankles and shake the change out of his pockets. It wasn't a mean thing though- just playing around. Even then we knew he was an alien, able to do tons of stuff that hadn't been invented yet. I imagine if we held him upside down and shook him today some stacks of bills might fall out. Larry Balma began Tracker Trucks in Oceanside, Mark Rogowski (Gator-Mark Anthony) had his rise and fall in North County, and Todd Swank purportedly owns everything skatewise that Tony Hawk doesn't.

Some of the greatest skaters and surfers never got their names in the mags- they just did their thing for the love of it. Reese Simpson comes immediately to mind.

Tawny Kitaen and Betsy Russel went to Mission Bay. Frank Zappa did for a brief stint. Back in the day there was a rumor about Jim Morrison in Clairmont, but it was the other Claremont.

Grossmont's Country Dick got more than 15 minutes of fame, and Lester Bangs even more than that.

Surfing:

Again a lot of the really good guys stayed lo profile.

Rusty Miller was from Encinitas, Butch Van Artsdalen (Black Butch) was from La jolla, Billy Hamilton and Mike Hynson were from somewhere around PB and La Jolla, Joey Buran had a few seasons of fame, David Eggers from Windensea was pretty well known. Rob Machado calls Cardiff home, Taylor Knox was from Carlsbad, Brad Gerlach was at one time from Encinitas, Taylor steel (surf movie maker) was from somewhere in North County.

Ratt were from where? eL cAJON?

That Eddie kid from Pearl Jam spent time at Oak Crest and later in Mission beach.

On a more serious note, Tom Waits got his start in Mission beach. That's pretty big in my book.

The Zeros were from Chula Vista and the Dils from Carlos-malo. Dennis Chang excelled on the tennis courts at San Dieguito.

Cindy Lee Berryhill had her fifteen minutes hailing out of the way outer dairy lands of Ramona.

Carlos Santana got his start playing clubs in Tijuana.

I'm running out of ammunition. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 04:08AM by Toby.

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2008 03:43AM

Ratt was from La Jolla.

Totally different world, but the bulky left-handed pitcher David Wells, who once threw a perfect game for the Yankees, went to Point Loma High in the early 80's.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I picture him being more into biker rock than our scene, but maybe I'm wrong...

Date: June 27, 2008 07:23AM

Cindy Lee Berryhill hung out with us a bit ... She still owes me back my Incredible String Band album, and she played with Paul Howland.

Jewel was polished by Steve Poltz, who I confess I don't remember, although he worked with Steve Foth, who I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 07:52AM by Mmrothenberg.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2008 05:54PM

Steve Poltz dates my best friend Sharon Daddi, who was also buds with Foth (who was murdered in City Heights around 2001). Steve P. and Tim Maze now own a swank new restaurant down on Aero drive called the Starlite. They make homemade icecream sandwichessmiling smiley

Don't forget Rob Crow, now famous for Pinback. He's from Encinitas. I dated his bandmate John Goff (also San Diegito High) for almost five years. John was in Crash Worship and Physics. He also worked at The Cove with Wendell Kleng and that is how I met Wendell. Our daughters, the same age, became fast friends. I have had many a Sunday pancake breakfast there. I haven't seen him in a WHILE. Must give him a call.

Date: June 27, 2008 05:57PM

Toby: actually Jim Morrison's family moved to Coronado but I think he was already attending UCLA at that time.

Date: June 27, 2008 06:44PM

Ooooh, Sharon Daddi! I haven't seen Sharon in maybe 10 years ... We worked together at the Encinitas Pannikin, which is a whole other chapter in the San Diego rocknroll mystery tour. Tell her hello!

Date: June 27, 2008 07:09PM

I will see her tonight hopefully. She owns a mid-century style high end salon in Little Italy and it gets voted "best" in SD every year. Small world: she grew up in Del Mar and was buddies with Kristi Maddox and Paul Fips.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2008 07:57PM

Others who went to Helix High (my HS): Dennis Hopper and basketball star Bill Walton.

Here's a fascinating story by Bart Mendoza on Hopper, Zappa, and Morrison's stints in SD:

[www.sandiegotroubadour.com]

When I was a kid I had a friend who's uncle or cousin (can't remember now) was in the band Gary Puckett and the Union Gap (his name is Gary "Mutha" Withem). They got their start in SD.

Didn't Iron Butterfly start here? And the great band The Lyrics ("So What?"). What other bands did?

Mojo Nixon was pretty famous for a while - on MTV and all.

Date: June 27, 2008 10:01PM

In the '80s, somebody (Paul Kaufman?) told a story about Gary Puckett trying to pay with a check at Tower Records. When the clerk requested ID, he went and retrieved a Union Gap album from the stacks, brandishing it and demanding if that was sufficient ID.

If I recall correctly (or maybe it's just wishful thinking), the clerk insisted on a driver's license. :-)

Posted by: cricket logan (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2008 07:14PM

to freeky toby. did you know cindy lee ? thats so funny how we lost each other but hung out with alot of the same people and diddent know it. what do you think that says ?

Date: June 29, 2008 07:31PM

Cindy Lee Berryhill was my guitar teacher for a bit. Private lessons. She was living at her parent's house in Ramona, regrouping.

Funny- I'm pretty sure her sister was the prom queen.

Date: June 29, 2008 08:17PM

Cindy Lee rocked the mic at Greenwich Village West a coupla times.

Date: July 01, 2008 04:32PM

Can anyone explain the Stone Temple Pilots connection to ... Torrey Pines, was it?

Posted by: markmul (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2008 03:46PM

Matt,

Tony Hawk lived near my house as a kid. He was actually at the ramp when I busted my elbow so bad it took 10 years and 5 operations to fix it. I just remember he was a snotty nose little cry baby at the time.

Small World

Date: September 02, 2008 05:11PM

Owen Neider, Dierk Laughery and I used to grab Tony by the ankles and hold him upside down and shake him until some change fell out of his pockets and we could get a hot dog or something from the snack bar at the ranch. I imagine we could do that now and stacks of bills might fall out- except he's a head taller than any one of us.

There were a bunch of lesser known yet still pretty well known skaters around North County right then, many who would also make a list of punks at the time: Mike Macgill, Neil Blender, Owen Neider, Steve Steadham, Reese Simpson, Hellpig, Gator, Miki Vukovich, Tod (Swank) Weseloh, dave Swift. I can't even remember them all- I know there are more.

Also Larry Balma (Tracker/Transworld) and Peggy Cozens (Transworld) were from North County.

Date: September 02, 2008 06:24PM

Anybody ever run into Ravi Shankar in Encinitas? George Harrison reportedly used to drop by his place, perhaps in a funny nose and glasses.

Date: September 02, 2008 07:01PM

I ran into Dustin Hoffman at that little muffin place South of Lou's Records store near D Street. I ran into David Crosby at my uncles house where he was buying disco biscuits- that was weird. I never ran into Ravi Shankar but there were all kinds of disciples of Paramahansa Yoganananda running around there at that time, and some huge Hollywood contributors none of which I can recall right at the moment.

And then there was Buttons Kaluhiokalani hanging around Leucadia, skating and surfing and partying with whoever was up for it. Oddly enough, I live pretty close to him today.

Date: September 02, 2008 07:16PM

I probably mentioned this somewhere else, but in that silly Jimi Hendrix "Rainbow Bridge" flick, there's a quick shot in front of the Swami's place. Got a big reaction from the La Paloma midnight-movie audience ...

Date: September 03, 2008 06:03PM

Don't forget Cameron Crowe who went to Clairemont High (Fast Times inspiration and school of Dave Flem.)

Posted by: hugh64 (IP Logged)
Date: September 04, 2008 01:41AM

What about Brenda Spencer? She didn't like Mondays. Is she famous or infamous?

Date: September 04, 2008 06:27AM

Brenda Spencer: One-hit wonder.

Posted by: Paul Kaufman (IP Logged)
Date: September 04, 2008 04:52PM

How about that San Diego Supergroup, Heaven's Gate?:

[en.wikipedia.org])

Date: September 04, 2008 06:15PM

Let's not forget Andrew Cunanan, Hillcrest rent boy-turned-spree killer.

Date: September 04, 2008 09:38PM

It's our very own Psycho-San Diego! and if we're going there I'll mention James Oliver who went hunting humans at the McDonalds in San Ysidro.

I remember hearing about Brenda. Talk about a bad trip pushed to the edge. How could anybody shoot children?

Date: September 05, 2008 03:01AM

Patty Hearst wasn't from San Diego (as far as I know) but she and her ex-bodyguard turned lover lived on a culdesac in Leaucadia when I was a kid.

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2008 01:24PM

Brenda Spencer was a child. I remember the Boomtown Rats song "I don't like Mondays" getting far more attention than her shooting spree did.

Posted by: AndyG (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2008 10:16PM

hugh64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about Brenda Spencer? She didn't like
> Mondays. Is she famous or infamous?

They kept us after school at Pershing for four hours while that was being cleaned up by the cops and we weren't even that close to it.

Date: September 10, 2008 11:12PM

Steven Dietz really got my attention with his observation in the blog's Ken Cinema thread that Brenda Spencer's silicon chip got switched to Overload just months after the PSA crash. I think those events rattled our little adolescent cages harder than I ever realized. Kids could have planes fall on their house, kids could get shot by other kids on the playground ... There were a bunch of freaky serial killings happening in SoCal in the '70s, too ... I don't remember if any of those guys hailed from San Diego.

What about that evil serial-killing highway patrolman in San Diego? That was creepy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 11:24PM by Mmrothenberg.

Posted by: popeyecahn (IP Logged)
Date: September 25, 2008 02:35AM

What I know is(and more to follow as I recall...):

Andy Rathbone (Windows for Dummies): Clairemont HS grad, I believe he introduced me to:

Cameron Crowe- who visted and did his homework around the time I was in the 11th or 12th grade. It all made sense when I was sitting in Crystal Studios in LA reading Playboy and an excerpt from Fast Times was published (December '80 issue iirc). Yes I did read them too...

Morrison- we know about, but he was also present in another place I and the Unknowns called home: Valdosta, GA

Brenda Spencer- who went on a shooting spree at Grover Cleveland Elementary, I lived near there when I moved back into SD in '96. A guy I worked for went to school with her at that time. Said she was a loner and weird.

Ratt, was known to me in HS as Mickey Ratt...

CHP killer? Craig Peyer? I ride through that area he killed Cara Knott on occasion. Someone should clean up all the litter though...

The Iron Butterfly began life in El Cajon if memory serves me.

And no one mentioned Stephan Bishop?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.