San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What's your sound system?
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2008 12:05PM

This crazy analog-to-digital format-go-'round has got me thinking about what we're using to listen to music nowadays. Truth be told, I'm doing most of my listening on one of the family Macs with earbuds ... Like Walkmen before them, I find iPods unnerving when navigating my daily routine -- I do most of my music appreciation sitting on my butt (which is probably why it's so BIG now!)

What's your audio system of choice?

Re: What's your sound system?
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2008 12:36PM

Truth be told I have a CD player in my car, several slightly above run of the mill console units in my house (living room, bedroom, office, shop) and a $20 FM broadcaster on my computer which reaches all of those console units beautifully. There is a turntable on the living room console unit, which has six speakers hardwired to the living room, front porch and kitchen.

Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: May 26, 2008 09:04PM

I remember and old Creem magazine I had in high school, where someone said "No one who truly loves rock and roll uses headphones." ...and it was true! Everything was about big speakers, and quasi-high end stereo systems. I remember a guy who had giant home stereo speakers in the back of his Mustang...haha. People didnt want to play an album over again because it was supposed to degrade the sound quality.

There was a lot of hype attached to all that, of course...but nowadays the whole concept of "sound quality" has completely gone out the window with MP3s. And what about older recordings with lots of stereo seperation? Just because an instrument is only coming out of one speaker doesnt mean you're supposed to hear it with only ONE EAR.

But yeah, Im mostly in front of the computer with a pair of cheap sony headphones on.

Check out David Lynch's "commercial" for the iphone:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tonesua (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2008 04:33PM

ipod gets played through a cassette adaptor in the car. IN the house, it goes through the house stereo with nice techniques pre 1200 turntable. I rarely play the ipod through ear buds. Bugs me, but I am traveling for work more often. So it is a repreive on the plane.

I have recorded some 9 hours of 45's to Mp3 format for ipod fun. I just don't compress as much and let the files get pretty large. You CAN tell the difference.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:48PM

For records I have mostly 1970s components. In the Living Room - Marantz amplifier and tuner (thrift store find), Marantz cassette deck (Ebay), a Dual 1219 turntable (thrift store, then professionally refurbished), and a pair of 1960s floor speakers. In my record room I have a 1970s Pioneer Quadrophonic Receiver with 1970s Sansui floor speakers (both estate sale finds), and a cheapo Numark turntable that I also use for DJing (since my other Dual turntable is not working).

I use iTunes on a Mac G4 Cube with an Airport Express to play CDs and MP3s through my stereo. I've converted most of my CDs to 192 VBR MP3s. I can't tell the difference between those and 320 MP3s, but I can usually tell if they're 128 or less.

In the car I play MP3s (mostly WFMU radio shows) using a Sansa Express and an FM transmitter.

I'm a gadget geek and I travel a bit, so I also have an Archos video player (great for plane trips).

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 12:45PM

Its a work in progress
Samsung series5 50 inch plasma
Yamaha RXV-663 7.2 Dolby true H.D.- DTS Master H.D. Reciever
Pioneer elite DVD audio-SACD Player
Pioneer elite Blueray DVD player
Paradigm reference studio 20s x5
Energy 200 watt 10 inch sub x2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 01:15PM by Mark Di'Zizzo.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 02:54PM

In the car Sirius Satalite radio

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:47PM

tonesua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ipod gets played through a cassette adaptor in the
> car. IN the house, it goes through the house
> stereo with nice techniques pre 1200 turntable. I
> rarely play the ipod through ear buds. Bugs me,
> but I am traveling for work more often. So it is a
> repreive on the plane.

Pretty much the same for me (car, home). I use isolating earbuds at the gym and normal earbuds at one of my jobs (they don't mind, and even encourage the use). At my main job I have a dock for my ipod and play it through my computer. I also listen to two internet radio stations, legitradio.com and radionigel.com when I think about it.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.