San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who was your first San Diego influence?
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 02:37PM

What musician or scenester first tutored you in the ways of rock 'n' roll?

I heard some of my first punk stuff from friends I'd go back and visit in Milwaukee in the late '70s. Tammy and Carol Pollard, who lived a block away, and MRAT Nee and Todd Barker and Steve Duke all exposed me to lotsa new sounds. The Penetrators were probably the first band I saw live that made me go, "Wow! New, local sounds!"

How about you-all?

Re: Who was your first San Diego influence?
Posted by: dflem (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2008 04:07PM

Russ Miller. Fantastic guitar teacher at The Blue Guitar in Old Town. Wish I had been more hip to all the things I could've learned from him, he played mostly fingerstyle (even on electric) and knew tons of country picking at a time when I wanted to only learn Beatles riffs and bar-chord bashing. Still he helped me unlearn my first self-taught year of bad habits and helped me get started on what has become a long and rewarding path.

I'd mention piano lessons but there wasn't no rock 'n roll teaching there..

Byron Barrett was the neighborhood guru of punk and new wave, I played music with his younger brother Norman, who had the coolest 60's Fender Mustang guitar with the racing stripes. Around the corner from them lived Dave Doyle, who turned me on to all kinds of great music like early Stones, Kinks, R&B, surf, even Leo Kottke. Dave also worked a mean soldering gun and even repaired his Vox amp...very impressive.

Chris Davies...I've gone on about him elsewhere here...simply put, a master musician.

Mark Neill.

Dan McLain. I never knew him personally but he taught the whole town that rock and roll was literate, historical, referential, funny and smart. His mags were the beacon...and you could read the interviews and see that those godheads you watched onstage were real people with opinions. In the early 80's radio rock had become so amazingly stupid, it wasn't about ideas or anything other than hoodley-guitar and bad hair. People like Dan led us out of this abyss into a world of possibilities tempered with cheesy good humor...and he also showed us the way by playing in a zillion different groups..all of them great...showing that you could be relevant without being locked into any specific style.

I could write an endless list including everyone on this blog...thanks for sharing the music..

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2008 12:41AM

I really don't remember. I was this lost poser kid making shit up and copping stuff out of magazines and off of album covers, listening to anything from iggy pop to the clash to the buzzcocks to the specials and even like Graham Tchakovsky (the rocker- not a classical composer) and Squeeze and Lou Reed and the New York Dolls- basically just anything I could find that was different and off- then Lloyd saw me on the beach and found out I could play guitar and asked me if I wanted to play bass in a band, and all of the sudden I was thrust into these situations where I was surrounded by tons of punks and these radical personalities.

Whoever my role models were, they were usually pretty unhealthy roll models.

Date: July 07, 2008 06:33PM

The Dave Ellison/Sam Wilson collaboration was epic! To me it's the acme of cool kids uniting to make a joyful noise.

Posted by: tonesua (IP Logged)
Date: July 08, 2008 07:32PM

Gonzalo manuel and Dave anderson went to my school. Big on making the tapes adn pre answers/i spy, we played songs in Daves bedroom. I remember as far back as winter 81? Gonzalo suggested many of the songs for Ispy, talked to Pete english in getting a gig in the summer of 1982 and probably had something with connecting us to Steve Medico and Sherry Gross for her backyard party.

Dave Flem was a huge influence at first. The learning curve was started.
I back up Dave F on the Dan mcclain literary influence. He hepped me and connected the dots between old and new and showed us what started what.
Andrew the English guy at Licorice Pizza in Clairemont. He worked there 79-85? He was considerably older than me at the time, I guess. He played some interesting sounds on that turntable at LP.
I later saw him resurface and play a few aucoustic shos around 1999? Does anyone have that licorice pizza connection? THe one in Pacific Beach had great employees. I remember meeting a few of them at parties in 82-83.

Posted by: patndhat (IP Logged)
Date: July 09, 2008 04:26AM

Ray brought up Hamilton Smiley. His big bro had a "New Wave" compilation LP with picture vinyl that I'm sure is worth major $$ today...it had a "punker" kid kinda surfing on an ironing board.

And it had one cut that did actually change my life. I really did hear this and get converted from a full bore Aerosmith fan (something I never left but was at times not willing to admit...theirs was indeed my first LP purchase, my first 45 being Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle")

Anyhoo...

Joe Jackson "Got the Time" may well be my epitaph.

If you needed any further reckoning about the value of Anthrax beyond their recorded works with PE (forgive my clumsy segue) there are two things you should go find:

1. Their web post immediately following the anthrax poisoning scare a couple of years back. This was a masterfully executed bit of public relations that is unlikely to be matched any time in the next couple of decades by anyone involved in popular entertainment.

2. Their cover of "Got the Time". This goddamn song...well.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Ham. And your brother and your sister...together you all saved my ass from certain hell.

Pat

Date: July 09, 2008 04:38AM

Ronald Reagan. Need I say more?

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2009 01:04PM

And I as well...Too Funny

My friend Dave Sheridan from La Mesa brought me to a few punk parties
and also to the Julian Gig,My first show, Turned into a riot,
I think I wore construction boots with a dogs choke chain around one and a bandanna around the other one,(Im so cool) With a 60ish button up shirt with Safety Pins all over it......I was now a full fledged punk...
Then Dave(Everyone says I look like John Lydon) Rinck got ahold of me and showed me the path to glory!!!
We would steal my dads Cigs smoke ourseves sick,
He took me to Hollywood to see Johnny Thunders at the whiskey,
He was a really cool guy,
Ive never met anyone who took care of there records the way he did,
Stay cool Dave

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:41PM

influences? well, ron silva was my first real pal in the scene and he and mike and peter turned me on to all kinds of music. carl rusk, too. riding around in the suburban, blasting any and all music they were into. up to then i'd been stuck in janis/jimi/late beatles land at home and with renee.

which brings me to renee, she opened my mind when she bought a copy of u2 boy and we listened it down to almost inaudibility on her little portable player.

but locals? ron silva. hands down. he was my music guru. and friend.

Date: March 17, 2009 05:58PM

ava Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> influences? well, ron silva was my first real pal
> in the scene and he and mike and peter turned me
> on to all kinds of music. carl rusk, too. riding
> around in the suburban, blasting any and all music
> they were into. up to then i'd been stuck in
> janis/jimi/late beatles land at home and with
> renee.
>
> which brings me to renee, she opened my mind when
> she bought a copy of u2 boy and we listened it
> down to almost inaudibility on her little portable
> player.
>
> but locals? ron silva. hands down. he was my music
> guru. and friend.

The Renee you mentioned above...Did she live in Pacific Beach? Black and white hair?

Date: March 17, 2009 06:01PM

ava Wrote:
> influences? well, ron silva was my first real pal
> in the scene and he and mike and peter turned me
> on to all kinds of music. carl rusk, too. riding
> around in the suburban, blasting any and all music
> they were into. up to then i'd been stuck in
> janis/jimi/late beatles land at home and with
> renee.
>
> which brings me to renee, she opened my mind when
> she bought a copy of u2 boy and we listened it
> down to almost inaudibility on her little portable
> player.
>
> but locals? ron silva. hands down. he was my music
> guru. and friend.

Hey ava,
The Renee you mentioned above...Did she live in Pacific Beach?
With Black and white hair? and had a friend named Linda?
If she is the same person, She was my first Fasion guru and first Punk rock Girlfriend,

Date: March 18, 2009 01:51AM

nope, renee was my best friend from elementary school on up. never lived in pb and didn't have b/w hair. but she has fabulous fashion sense and is still the coolest woman ever.

Date: March 18, 2009 06:57AM

ava Wrote:
> nope, renee was my best friend from elementary
> school on up. never lived in pb and didn't have
> b/w hair. but she has fabulous fashion sense and
> is still the coolest woman ever.

Oops my bad,

Date: March 18, 2009 12:06PM

Anyone named Renee is generally cool. It's a principle of physics.

Date: March 19, 2009 01:19AM

and how. renee is the coolest. she and her husband own/run hash house and tractor room in sd. both fabulous places to get a drink and a killer plate. i love that woman. and her man.

Posted by: leatherfaery (IP Logged)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:07PM

Mine were my fellow bandmates Lisa,Lou and Bruce.

Posted by: Bruce Perreault (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2009 09:50PM

Didn't see this before. How sweet are you??

Meeting Lou changed a lot for me. I was living with a guy who listened to mostly John Denver. Other cell mates were into Boston, Cheap Trick, Alan Parsons,.... Met Lou at a party, couldn't see him , but heard a drunken voice in the corner mumbling "Lou Reed....put on Lou Reed. Injections were born soon after.

We played in the cells for fellow inmates. Mostly Little Richard, Elvis, Eddy Cochran, Lou Reed, Iggy "Stooge". People just stared and thought we were crazy. I played poorly and Lou couldn't sing. We used to bump into each other and bounce off the walls while we played.

Lou soon decided to advertise, literally, for "Crazy lesbian drummer". God joe, I was embarressed at so many things Lou did, but the crazies always flocked to him, from day one.

One of the earlier shows I saw were the Dinettes...Loved their "Wild Thing".

Seeing FEAR raised some eyebrows too.

Lisa is a whole story unto itself.

bruce

Date: April 04, 2009 01:58AM

the ad that I saw was posted in the barracks looking for a drummer...it was on base so it didn't say anything about a "crazy lesbian drummer". That must have come after being around you and Lou for some time.ha

Date: April 04, 2009 07:01AM

Lou and Bruce elicit not only lesbianism, but CRAZY lesbianism!

Date: April 04, 2009 10:47AM

Like George Costanza, Lou and I turned a lot of women to lesbianism. ha

Lou's original flyers DID state that he wanted a "crazy lesbian drummer"....perhaps these were posted in more "civilian" venues.

I do love the story of how we "broke" you out of some kind of rehab/prison type place to play a show. I think I drove my hand painted black Javelin then.

I want to do a short piece with Ira Glass for "This American Life". Just don't know what story, angle, etc......

b

Date: April 04, 2009 11:14AM

yeah the escape....::humming amy winehouse::::

Date: April 04, 2009 12:05PM

A George Costanza aside: While I'd been watching her from afar I got up the courage to approach my future wife at a Lower Haight bar ONLY because guy I'd been playing music with at Central House was getting rather busy with the girlfriend she'd arrived with. I was jealous 'cause he was a lot smoooooover than me!

Nancy and I got married, and Dave Buckley ended up being the last guy Lisa ever dated. (She goes by "Alex" now.) :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2009 12:23PM by Mmrothenberg.

Date: April 04, 2009 02:44PM

Did you say " I have no job, no prospects, and I live at home with my Mother and Father" ???? Did you do the exact opposite of what you'd usually do?? ha ha

Bruce

Date: April 04, 2009 03:58PM

the word lesbianism makes me shudder ...

Date: April 04, 2009 04:04PM

sorry ... a little out of the gay loop. What's better????????

Bruce

Date: April 04, 2009 04:56PM

Turning women into lesbians is impressive and all, but I was such a horrible ogre my ex resorted to joining the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Date: April 04, 2009 05:25PM

>>the word lesbianism makes me shudder ...

I'm sorry, Joey -- it is an awful sort of 1950s expression, isn't it? I was only employing it for comic effect 'cause of the whole "crazy lesbian" theme.

(You can go ahead and call my female relatives "Jewesses" -- one time! -- as payback.) :-)

Date: April 04, 2009 07:39PM

OK ... sort it out for me. What is the correct term for "lesbianism" and, now, "Jewesses".?? ( How about gay women and Jewish women??) Is that better.

T. you gave your ex to Jehovah ?? I KNEW you were an ogre.

b

Date: April 04, 2009 08:03PM

LOL..Matt ! No way...I was picking up on your comic effect ..for sure. I jsut shuddered though at that word and thought I would share smiling smiley

lesbianism sounds like a chronic disease that has nasty outcomes. Nasty ick not nasty ahhhhh.
I suppose the term gay works. But I am ohhhhhhhhh so much more than my gayness...falalalala

If you ( the general you) are that much out of the loop...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...it concerns me winking smiley

Date: April 04, 2009 08:21PM

A couple of years ago, a colleague admiringly referred to me as the gayest straight man he knows.

I've seriously considered adding this to my resume.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.