San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cliques
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 11, 2008 11:47PM

Let's list anybody sufficiently well-organized or visible to qualify for a name. Bonus points for quick descriptions of each group's numbers, geography and habits.

SDSH: Referenced in this blog thread and many others. How many guys were in the San Diego Skinheads? When did they start? When did they stop?

Boy's Club: Referenced here and here on the blog. So this was Al Brown, Jeff Mummert ... Who-all else?

PB Vurmin: Referenced here on the blog.

Fill in the blanks! Who else had a name, and why?

Re: Cliques
Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2008 12:24AM

The Boy's Club also included Chuck and John ("Testical Head") Toner as well, to my recollection. Andy ("Dogbite") Gaines would come down often from L.A., full-on cholo stylee, and Wendy ("Pyro") Gaines was also always around in the mid-to late '80's. They were all very protective of little sis' Robin Gaines. This was all after the Boy's Club heyday. 11 Sons used to practice there. This is when I was cabinetmaking with Jeff and Al (and earlier Greg Pirtle and later Chuck). Tim Pinnel's brother Roger would come down from S.F., too. He and Chuck are pictured in that "Be My Friend" that has appeared on here (The Brood). Chris "Jarhead" was also a big part of the Broadway Boy's Club place. After the original Boy's Club burnt down. I seem to recall Jeff telling me his dog had saved their lives from the blaze.I believe Chris (R.I.P.) took his life in Roger's pad in S.F. Mike Stobbe and the Nightstalkers scooter club were major players during the second Morlocks phase. Stobbe had THE party house at that time. All the Mira Mesan's mentioned elsewhere were there, as was I. I would head there whenever I got back from Ensenada. The S.D. scene was a little too incestuous for me. I sought romance south of the border...

Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2008 01:16AM

I can't do the PB Vermin list nor do I believe it's relevant- you can check with Squire maybe- I think he knew some of them.

PB Rats also aren't really relevant to the punk scene, though I believe I can give you a list of the original "members".

I can also give you the loose association of guys coined "MBGG" (Mission Beach Ghetto Guerillas"- a name made in the spirit of irony, really) or "BSB" (Briton Street Boys- the "MBGG"s next bit of jest in the wake of Lloyd's death), though it was all pretty quaint and there was no loyalty involved as far as I can remember, aside from the usual stuff where a guy backs up his friends in the heat of the moment when the shit hits the fan.

Date: July 12, 2008 01:36PM

Who was the lead singer for 11 Sons? I remember him from the Standbys. Boy's Club crew always seemed a hair older than us -- maybe 1961-'62 birthdays, not '65 or '66 -- and I do remember some attitude being copped about our youthful Che shenanigans. :-)

And does anyone have a line on when SDSH organized? Were there more than a half-dozen guys or did they just loom larger than life?

Date: July 12, 2008 04:38PM

Tom was the name of the lead singer. Blond guy with glasses. Really nice guy. I always remember him being heavily into academia (teacher?) when we were doing the Bedbreakers thing. The Bedreakers was a direct result of us having been in 11 Sons and the Morlocks respectively, trying to "make it". We decided to just play some blues and drink some beer and have a good time. They were all about 10 years older. Which helped me out with some of the ageist issues I had 'til then. BTW - they didn't like Hair Theater, or rather, Sergio. Tim Pinell gave Sergio and Paul (?) a ride in his vintage Cadillac and Sergio repaid the kindness by carving "Sergio is God" into the hard plastic seatback. Oh, and don't call Jeff "dude".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2008 09:06PM by Mmrothenberg.

Date: July 12, 2008 05:26PM

Ehhh, with the notable exception of Tom, 11 Sons showed up prepared to hate us the very first time (and last time!) we invited them to play with Noise 292 and Hair Theatre at the Che. I actually liked the band enough to invite them onto the bill (as subs for Guy Goode), so I found the attitude disappointing and really unusual at our events. (I think there was some kind of competitive streak over post-punk pissing rights I hadn't encountered at any of our gigs before -- obvious enough for me to remember 25 years later!)

Not an especially endearing episode, but that crew seemed generally all right when not competing for rock-star cred. Welcome, Boy's Club; all is forgiven! :-)

PS: Carving shit in people's cars is definitely grounds for resentment!

PPS: I still liked 11 Sons.:-)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2008 05:36PM by Mmrothenberg.

Date: July 13, 2008 11:42PM

Waaay before I met them, I had the song "Cold Water" (which I really like) by them on some Mystic compilation cassette, I don't believe it was Our Blow Out. BTW - Nobody used drugs, ever, in relation to this post. ;-)

Posted by: leatherfaery (IP Logged)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:14PM

[www.rogerpinnell.com]

Great story by roger pinnell featuring chris jarhead

It's the excerpt from Shave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 06:43PM by leatherfaery.

Posted by: Denise (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2009 10:43PM

anyone hear of a clique called 'the choirboys'? one of my friends down here said that was her brother's punk gang. don't know much about them.

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2009 01:07AM

whooeeee, the choirboys. that's a mouthful.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2009 01:14PM

The Choirboys as I remember them were centered in and around North Park, Near the Normal Heights area, And had a cast of people comming and going, as the scene grew so did the group of people who associated themselves with them, most of the names elude me but I`ll give you the ones I remember(In full where I remember them)
Kevin Dodd, Tom Johnston, Mark Zizzo, Kenny, Cameron,Thayne,Jon Jon(sort of),
And a tutti Frutti assortment of hangers on,

Disclaimer: Although the author of this(and any posts made by him) tries to be as acurate as possible...
The prolonged exposure to Stimulants Narcotics,Halucinigens,and other medications, (Prescribed or otherwise) to said author, Have caused significant deteriation of brain function,.
So in the event of incorrect memories or false statements, The author bears no responsiblity to statment made,
Thank You,
The Author....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 04:04PM by Mark Di'Zizzo.

Posted by: Denise (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2009 02:23PM

yes. that would be them...i heard they had quite a history with the mods, and liked to hold court at balboa park. we had a few cliques in la (lads, suicidals, confederates, f-troop, etc.). created lots of drama, that's for sure.

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2009 09:35PM

tom was the only one i felt at home with. he had my back. the rest kind of freaked me out.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:06PM

Well if you felt at home with Tommy then you'd feel just as at home with Kevin,(Wheather you liked it or not)
Those two were, And from what I hear.. still are life long best friends,
Like Peas and Carrots,
They were Good friends of mine and if I still lived in San Diego they still would be,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 04:07PM by Mark Di'Zizzo.

Date: May 05, 2009 07:29PM

Mr. Dodd, I believe, has chimed in on the blog ...

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2009 02:58PM

i think there were several cliques in sd .....many who lacked names or official-rosters.
sd was no different than any city on earth in this regard.

for many, music was barely even a consideration.
a bad-attitude expressed via a scratched-car or any of numerous possibilites)
was only indicative of our tribal, if not oftentimes anti-social nature.

for me the experience at one time entailed booby-trapped parties,...hospitalizations, home-invasion, and the potential for escalation.

it was often difficult to know who our friends were....or even what the term meant.
and yet life required us to carry on.....allowing us time to reflect on what we thought we knew...or who.... when we were younger AND therefor more certain of ourselves

we have all grown up a bit...hopefully....those of us who survived.

Posted by: ALI711 (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2009 11:28AM

I also recall some names:
"Dan Ashley" (lived next to chapparal HS), with his mom;;

"Tiny" don't remember last name--that fatty broke my chevy monza windshield ...

And who could forget sweet young "Paul Schell", God rest his crazy soul, ran down his sreet in santee chasing his dad with an axe, i actually dated him,scary
huh?
Did "John Alexopolus" count, with his pleather jacket,he wasa big Zizzo groupie/wanna-be..
There were also few "choir-girls" who shall not be named at this time.

ALICIA MARIE DILLE/THREET

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.