San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dancing Days
Posted by: Dave Ellison (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:36PM

I want to know more about dancing back in the 80s.

Does anyone remember how girls used to dance at mainstream clubs (since we're talking about Studio 9 an' all)...specifically how they'd mime the words to the songs while dancing? I mentioned this to my wife a while back, but she'd never heard of it. So I told her about the different underage clubs back then, such as Stratus in east county, where girls would do this. She described the dancing to a friend of hers from SD on the phone, and her friend said "Oh, you mean how girls used to dance at Stratus!" So I'm wondering if this was just a regional thing (my wife's not from SD). Was there a name for it? Does anyone else remember it?

Also dancing at mod shows... I remember guys who were really good dancers at the International Blend around 1982. They did 60s dances like the Mashed Potatos. After that time I never saw people dancing that way, only girls go-go dancing by the stage. Does anyone remember who these guys were?

Re: Dancing Days
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:40PM

They do that in the stellar Hollywood epic "Valley Girl". I'm certain that was put in there as an iconic 80's idiosyncrasy.

I saw that elsewhere too, but don't remember where. I didn't really go to clubs so it must have been parties or mainstream events like the Del Mar Fair concerts.

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2008 07:31PM

Don't know about Stratus and miming the words.

But in regards to Dave's second question around '82 from what I remember there were several good dancers. Jerry Cornelius was one. I did this boxing type move which is why Peter English gave me the nickname "the jab". Kirk Murray was a good dancer but he dropped out of the scene quite early ('81 or '82). He was the first person I knew who incorporated some stuff that the Northern Soul dancers did like kicks and spins.

Guys were more likely to dance by themselves in the back or side while the girls liked to stand in front and dance facing forward, at least for bands. I think they were more interested in getting the attention of the band members than the attention of us guys who weren't in bands, which is one reason why guys join bands, haha!

I still go to as many places as I can to dance. Never gave it up!

Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:35PM

Jab: So what was the source material? Nowadays with cable and YouTube and DVDs galore, you can find video about anything ... But what were you crazy kids watching to get your moves?

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:57PM

I got my moves watching Solid Gold Dancers or American Bandstand..no not really. But it sounds good. When did Breakin' come out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2008 08:59PM by kristentobiason.

Posted by: cricket logan (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 04:09PM

the tammy show ect. they use to show at the blend. pat chaneld mr brown and jerry i think came by it naturally. stratus, studio 9 ect were wonderful wonderful places for those of us not banded. seven seas n la and in later years red tape on el cajon blvd, and the hetro in hill crest ect 1989 90. sean, matt j, john n and i found at stratus a wealth of boy georgeish young ladys doing the interpretive dance steps mentioned earlier!each one a special young lady in her own right. matt do you remember the winchels guy with the dent in his head that would get mad if anyone wanted to buy some of his baked goods ! just some young guns haven some fun, crazy ladies kept us on the run.

Date: July 18, 2008 05:54PM

>>matt do you remember the winchels guy with the dent in his head that would get mad if anyone wanted to buy some of his baked goods !

Sentences like this make me so happy that language was invented!! Why would the dented Winchell's guy get mad?

Posted by: The Jab (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 09:23PM

Yeah, The T.A.M.I. show for sure, and all the 60s dance party shows like Hullabaloo and the like. They had plenty of those at Blue Meanie to study. Lots of practice in front of a mirror too!

Date: July 20, 2008 09:48AM

not farting, farting

Date: July 20, 2008 09:50AM

toby you bastard ! stop changing my words ! it was fricken creamer ! sniffing !

Date: July 20, 2008 12:15PM

sn0rting?

Date: July 20, 2008 01:49PM

Personally, I think he was farting Jiffy brand peanut butter. (God, I love this!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2008 01:50PM by Mmrothenberg.

Date: July 20, 2008 02:43PM

You know, when I first read that winchells story I had forgotten the word censor and was picturing this guy bent over by the table farting non-dairy creamer. Seemed like more effort than it was worth.

Date: July 20, 2008 03:02PM

My family doesn't understand why I can't stop laughing!!

Date: August 01, 2008 04:04PM

mine is anoyed. where is matt or sean ? i need back up on this one !

Posted by: matt johnson (IP Logged)
Date: August 01, 2008 04:59PM

I don't rightly recall (read it with a drawl, I just spent two weeks in Macon), but it sounds feasible.

After Stratus closed down for the night, the only thing that would have been open nearby in Casa de Oro/Spring Valley would have been Winchells.

What a charmed life we had compared to nowadays. We would run the streets all night, and the only thing we were worried about or looking out for were square headlights (i.e po-po/5-0/Johnny Law).

Which may explain why the Pop-O-Pies song with the refrain of "Make those donuts with extra grease, this batch is for the chief of police!" struck such a chord with us.

Date: August 01, 2008 07:39PM

i still have my 12 in of truckin - pop o pies ! everyone hates it.

Posted by: clay (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2009 01:48AM

the early dance-clubs in sd around 81-83...(studio nine, WCPC, trevor watson's copa cabana (early club-id) started to overtake hardcore shows as places where we might congregate to enjoy each other's company,...everyone's various odd dance-styles, and of course...a blend of music which was intoxicating as well as reflecting the spirit of the times.
generally rebellious in nature....really good 80's dance-music accepted the fact that there were countless rhythms and textures and vibes on offer beyond what the hardcore provided.
no funner times can i recall than seeing enitre crews of older punks....rude & co...ex-crawdaddys and mods.....boy's club....and loads of trendy (is that so bad?) neo-electro euro-pop fanatics....with the ever-present gay and lesbian community....going off to generally unpredictable and inspirational sets.

it wasn't unheard of to end a night of hardcore by slipping into a disco for a final couple hours.
of course there were some who'd question one's commitment to "being hardcore" for such behavior.....
but f*<k it....
there were many who simply came to accept a preference for being in the midst of a sea of slinking, swooping, strutting bodies....smiling and escaping with each other to the most lively and fascinating grooves and expressions our young minds could possibly bear on any given nite out.
and perhaps not even see or hear of one fight.
that was kinda refreshing, really.

also for really good dancing....undergound reggae concerts were a sure bet.....
they just lacked the wildness of variety that sd's early discos provided.

stratus surely sounded the corporate takeover of these sounds.....
just as i was reminded of adult-responsibilities which would more and more shape who i was to become.
i say thank goodness for kids.

they may never make us wise....but they do make us wiser.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.