San Diego Music History :  Che Underground: The Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Discuss the twists and turns of San Diego's rock-'n'-roll underground, yesterday and today 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Off topic- but what are you all reading today? (Suggestions)
Posted by: Toby (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 02:02AM

I'm finishing up Michael Herr's "Dispatches". Very raw and disheartening. A good book to read today, given the current administration's current political situation. I found it to be a pretty great book, but I like tragedy.

Re: Off topic- but what are you all reading today? (Suggestions)
Posted by: Mmrothenberg (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 06:58AM

I'm reading a biography of Walter Winchell ... Interesting look at the birth of our current culture of celebrity.

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: July 19, 2008 02:47PM

I am keeping a small tower of current reads on top of my bedside table -

The Yoga Sutras by Patanjali
After the Ecstasy, the Laundry by Jack Kornfield
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
Pablo Neruda Collection of Love Poems
The Hobbit (reading again and again...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2008 02:48PM by kristentobiason.

Posted by: Paul Brewin (IP Logged)
Date: July 19, 2008 10:30PM

I've belatedly discovered Edward Abbey, so I'm reading Desert Solitaire, and 'cause their connected, Walden by Thoreau. Oh, and Spongebob manga and Captain Underpants (various) with my daughter.

Date: July 20, 2008 12:15AM

I love Edward Abbey!!

On the kid note: Maurice Sendak, Richard Scarry and Corduroy.

kristentobiason: Re: Tolkien's Trilogy.

My dad read to us every night that we were at his place, before bed. I've actually never read the Trilogy myself but have had it read to me several times, and it's my favorite story ever. I bought the movies and couldn't bear to watch them past the first one. They were outstanding, but nothing compared to the imagery in my adolescent mind. I have his copies in a primary position amongst the favorites of my multitude of books. I'm not sure how much of it is Tolkein's mastery and how much of it is because they were my pop's.

The other stuff he read to us: Legend of Greystoke, Pretty much all of the Sherlock Holmes series, Robin Hood, Three Musketeers, 20,000 leagues (what was the correct title for that book?) and various and sundry british and American detective pulps. (Dashiel Hammet? I can't remember them all, but he immediately comes to mind.) At dad's house we didn't have TV- he hated it, a trait passed on to me pretty much totally whole.

Date: August 04, 2008 07:29AM

"When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris is a hoot! (As usual for him.)

Posted by: kristentobiason (IP Logged)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:15PM

"Out of the Silent Planet" by CS Lewis is a good book to crawl into during a shit storm. It has that cozy, magical refuge quality 'cept it's not long enough. For a real retreat, I pull out the Silmarillion.

Posted by: Ted Friedman (IP Logged)
Date: August 10, 2008 05:17AM

The Force of Kindness by Sharon Salzburg.

Great book and it came with an audio CD, with 4 meditations. 3 metta meditations and one that teaches basic meditation on the breath. Great book. I was reading it at work today. I could probably write like three sentences on kindness and she has this whole book.

Date: September 18, 2008 08:26PM

Posted by: Larry Halterman (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2008 02:21PM

"Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar" By Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. It gave me a few Yuks( then again,I laugh at my own jokes) and reminded me of how fun philosophy can be. Maybe not for all.Enjoy it if you have any interest in this sort of thing.

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2008 01:33PM

I am and have been reading various incarnations of Samuel R. Delany's next novel, Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders. It's pretty much the only thing I've read for the last year, but I've read it many times as I'm helping to proofread it, and he keeps adding stuff!

Date: December 19, 2008 03:49AM

I'm reading the palms of paraplegics as a community service venture. I always tell them that they'll live forever.

Posted by: ava (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:15AM

after being in school for what feels like a bajillion years, studying lit and psych, i have had it with deep reading. thus, lately i have taken up a mad affair with teen fiction. it's easy, it's entertaining and it's sociologically intriguing. that's not to say that i don't go back to the historical fic or non-fic every third book, since i have a penchant for reading things about slavery, the holocaust and anything related to cormac mccarthy ('the road' is about the best book i've read in recent time). i am a tangential reader, though. i tend toward following threads as i read. if i am on a biography kick i will read as much as i can about a certain person, then, if i see something interesting in a book (it can even be an offhand character remark about a kind of material, or an artist), i will research that, too. i think it's conditioning from all my years of research. i can't help but pick up pathways and run with them. so, now i just tend to do that with teen fic trends. and then check out the socio-anthropological trends that have created them.

Posted by: Mark Di'Zizzo (IP Logged)
Date: March 07, 2009 09:45PM

The Historian
By Elizabeth Kostova
A mordern historian discovers(Through Supernatural means) her families history is tied to Vlad the Impaler,
Pretty Thick book, Compelling

Posted by: Paul Allen (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2009 10:32PM

Ava, check your private messages.

Date: March 09, 2009 01:15PM

Richard Lewis- the Other Great Depression.

Date: March 09, 2009 05:33PM

I'm reading the scratch 'n' sniff version of the Brothers Karamazov.

Actually, I've been reading a lot of Toby Gibson. Heard of him? He's really good.

Date: March 09, 2009 09:26PM

I'm waiting for the movie.

Date: March 09, 2009 09:39PM

matthew... you have a true million of 'em.

i read the historian a few years ago and was taken by it, too. i think that it really appeals to the dark natured set. we tend toward the intrigue of history and it's less... savory side.

toby, when are you going to let me read it??? i am aching to see what you have going.

Date: March 10, 2009 12:41AM

Is that Gmail account you used to register a good one?

If so- I'll have a rough draft in your inbox in the a.m.

Oh- that sounded kind of dirty. winking smiley Though in this case, the software goes into the hardware.

Date: March 10, 2009 09:12AM

yes!

haha on the software!

Posted by: kevin (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:17PM

Over the last year I've read eight or nine versions of Samuel R. Delany's forthcoming novel, "Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders." I think he's really almost finished, now, though when I got the first copy (back in December of '07), he thought he was almost done. It's since grown from 55,000 words to over 170,000. Once he's really finished adding scenes and moving on to the polishing stage, I'll print out a new copy and start reading again. It's been incredible to watch his process. I've learned a lot.

http://www.theshambles.net/kv.jpg
My personal website
Promote world peace: Host An Exchange Student!
Get hip to The Shambles.
I have an awesome wife--she teaches pole dancing!

Date: March 20, 2009 12:26AM

surprising find in my foray into teen fic: tamar by mal peet. very well written and a fabulous story line about two british men who serve as resistance wireless operators in holland during the winter of 1944. i have literally eaten it up. next up? "something wicked this way comes" out loud to my kiddo.

Date: March 20, 2009 03:33PM

I read the New Yorker. Yes, I am old and tired, and I have leather patches on the elbows of my tweed jacket.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.